I have decided to write this post because every person who sees this team asks me How have you been with the Moto G? And in view of the amount of comments on the net about this small giant, I did not want to miss the opportunity to give my personal opinion.
The moto G is a mid-range terminal, which It has stood out in the Android world for being of very good quality and at a very low cost. Truth be told, that description falls short. This device is by far the best mid-range cell phone I’ve seen, and its price / power balance is very good. I assure you, for the price you pay for this equipment you cannot get anything better (At least at the time I wrote this post of course).
One of the most outstanding and intelligent things that Motorola introduced in this team is an almost pure version of Android, except for a couple of Motorola’s own APPs such as the camera, Motorola migration and Motorola help. As if that weren’t enough, Motorola has made a huge effort to keep the software of this terminal up to date, updating it to the latest version of Android 4.4.2 KitKat and constantly releasing small updates. As some may already know from experience, many manufacturers take a long time to update a computer to the latest version of Android, or even never do so.
Among the positive points that this terminal has are
- Root can be done very easy, even unlocking the bootloader is done from the same Motorola page. Which is not possible so directly.
- Great resistance to impacts and scratches. The screen is covered by a robust Gorilla Glass 3.
- It has FM radio. It may be a feature that is disappearing every day, so it is nice to see it still present in this team.
- Interchangeable housings. It is an aesthetic look, but it gives it a lot of style. In addition, for the purchase of the equipment they give you a set of 4 colored cases to exchange.
Going to the guts of the moto G we can see that despite being a mid-range team, it is very well equipped, and I can attest to this, in terms of performance I have not been hung with any of the heavier games that it I have installed such as the Asphalt 8 Airborne or the angry birds go to name a few. Further It can be seen that the equipment runs the Android version very well, going from one APP to another in a fluid way and without lags.
Speaking of the battery, the experience has been equally satisfactory, with an average duration of 1 day with intermediate use and 12 to 15 hours with more intensive use.
|GENERAL||2G Network||GSM 850/900/1800/1900|
|CDMA 800/1900 – CDMA version|
|3G Network||HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100|
|HSDPA 850/1700/1900/2100 – for T-Mobile, AT&T|
|CDMA2000 1xEV-DO – CDMA version|
|Status||Available. Released 2013, November|
|DISPLAY||Type||IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors|
|Size||720 x 1280 pixels, 4.5 inches (~ 326 ppi pixel density)|
|Multitouch||And it is|
|Protection||Corning Gorilla Glass 3|
|Internal||8/16 GB, 1 GB RAM|
|DATA||GPRS||And it is|
|EDGE||And it is|
|Speed||HSDPA, 21 Mbps; HSUPA|
|Wlan||Wi-Fi 802.11 b / g / n, Wi-Fi hotspot|
|Bluetooth||Yes, v4.0 with A2DP, LE|
|USB||Yes, microUSB v2.0, USB Host|
|CAMERA||Primary||5 MP, 2592 х 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, check quality|
|Features||Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, HDR, panorama|
|Video||Yes, 720p @ 30fps, stereo sound rec., HDR, check quality|
|Secondary||Yes, 1.3 MP|
|FEATURES||YOU||Android OS, v4.3 (Jelly Bean), upgradable to v4.4.2 (KitKat)|
|Chipset||Qualcomm MSM8226 Snapdragon 400|
|CPU||Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7|
|Sensors||Accelerometer, proximity, compass|
|Messaging||SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM|
|GPS||Yes, with A-GPS support and GLONASS|
|Java||Yes, via Java MIDP emulator|
|Colors||Black (front panel), 7 color options (back panel)|
|BATTERY||Non-removable Li-Ion 2070 mAh battery|
|Talk time||Up to 24 h|
Of course, not everything is rosy, and the Moto G like any terminal has its weak points mainly due to the fact that Motorola has had to cut here and there characteristics of the cell phone in order to keep a low price. Among its negative points then have us.
- 8 or 16 GB internal memory depending on the model without micro SD expansion slot. This means that you must work with the space that there is because there is no way to expand it. If you are a person who likes to load thousands of songs on your computer and save lots of files as videos, this is going to be a point to think about. By the way, to weigh this weakness, Motorola offers you a free Google Drive account with 50GB in the cloud so you can store everything you want there and not on your cell phone.
- Non-removable battery. In reality it is not such a serious problem, but for many users it is important to be able to remove the battery and change it for another, either because it was damaged or because you have a spare when the equipment discharges.
- It is not 4G LTE. At least the version of this terminal does not, because soon Motorola would be launching an improved edition of the Moto G that would already have this possibility. In other words, if you are a strong user of mobile browsing or using bandwidth consuming web services such as watching movies or downloading large files, this point is also going to make a big difference.
- It does not have a built-in gyro. If you have an accelerometer, which is the one that detects the movements you make in the X or Y axis to the cell phone but not the gyro, which is the device that allows you to detect joint movements in the 3 axes of the plane (basically I have seen its usefulness to take pictures- spheres).
- 5MP camera. It is a normal resolution camera, that is, it is not outstanding but it is not terrible either, of course if you compare it with the photos that a Galaxy S4 takes for example, then if you are going to notice the difference.
In conclusion, if your budget for a new cell phone is around 400,000 pesos (approximately 200 dollars to change), this is your team without a doubt. Believe me, for the money you are investing it is quite an acquisition that will not leave you disappointed.
Curious fact: This terminal is not supposed to be waterproof, however some reviews have shown its incredible resistance to drowning, so if you have one of these, you can be sure that if you drop it in water, there is a good chance that survive. Here is a video of a girl who was given the task of drowning this team for half an hour! and guess what happened?
I hope you liked this review, if you have additional contributions or comments about this terminal, comment and we are completing with everyone’s experiences. These are some articles related to the Moto G Moto E and Moto X that might interest you: