All of us carry a mobile phone with us, at least, for much of the day, and regardless of whether it cost us 100 or 1000 euros, the truth is that any of these devices is made up of a huge number of sensors of all kinds that allow it to function in many ways. Of course, these technical or hardware issues often go unnoticed by users, but in this article we wanted to show you what the main sensors are, and how to know their existence.
The first thing you will see is that there are many more sensors in number than one could imagine, but to that you have to add that it is difficult to know them unless we have an application specially developed for it. Of course, we also have that app you need, of course.
Knowing the sensors of my mobile
- Accelerometer: the accelerometer is one of the main sensors that a smartphone can have, specifically because it measures the acceleration that the phone has with respect to the force of gravity, to know the movements and orientation of the device. For this reason, all the applications for which our movements are fundamental, such as games in which you have to tilt the mobile to turn, use it.
- Gyroscope: another of the most important sensors that we can find in our smartphone. The gyroscope has been specially developed to allow us to rotate the screen. But it also has some additional functions compared to virtual reality, always in terms of the user’s location.
- Magnetometer: although it is likely that most of the users are not looking for magnetic fields in our surroundings, with this sensor we can detect them. In turn, if we make use of the compass function, this sensor is essential.
- Proximity– Proximity sensors are included in all mobile phones, even some of the older ones, as it allows the device to detect the proximity of others. When you bring your hand close to the screen and the WhatsApp voice message cuts out, it is precisely because of this sensor.
- Light sensor: Many people have no interest in using extra brightness on their mobile screen, which also consumes more battery than recommended. That is why they program the device so that it adapts the brightness of the panel to our needs according to the light that is around us. How does the phone know that we are enlightened? Thanks to this sensor.
- Barometer: the barometer is one of the sensors that not all smartphones really have. It is usually only found in high-end devices, those that have the ability to measure atmospheric pressure. For what reason? To have greater precision about the location, and therefore the GPS.
- Thermometer: many times the classic message that our smartphone is at a higher temperature than recommended may appear. It is not that the device senses it, but that it knows it thanks to the fact that it has a thermometer inside it that informs it of the temperature of the core of the equipment. The idea is that the device does not suffer damage of any kind.
- Humidity: Many times, humidity sensors are essential for users who perform physical activity, or applications and platforms that try to obtain information about the well-being of people.
- Pedometer: essential for those people who go out to do physical exercises with their mobile. The pedometer is capable of measuring the number of steps the user takes, so it is basic in this regard. This is how you make estimates around the calories consumed, for example.
- Pulsometer: complementary to the previous one, the heart rate monitor is obviously in charge of measuring the user’s heart rate. You can do it as long as we place our finger on the sensor that is located on the back of the device, next to the camera, in some high-end devices.
- Fingerprint sensor: until a few years ago these sensors did not directly exist in our mobiles, but little by little they have found their way into them. This is a very interesting security feature that we should not stop considering. Today, almost all high-end, and some mid-range, have a fingerprint sensor that allows only its owner to unlock the device.
Well, we said then that all the above are the sensors that a good part of today’s mobile phones have, although in the same way you would have to know then that it is difficult to know their existence unless you have an application that has been developed with this finish. That is why we cannot fail to recommend in these cases the download of a specific application such as Sensors Kinetics, which will inform you in just a while about all the sensors that your mobile has.
Download Sensors Kinetics for Android