US President Donald Trump said on Friday that he may or may not include Chinese telecommunications companies Huawei Technologies and ZTE Corp in the trade deal that is being negotiated between the United States and China.
The Justice Department has accused Huawei and its CFO of conspiring to violate U.S. sanctions on Iran by doing business through a subsidiary it tried to hide. The United States seeks his extradition.
In another case, the Justice Department accused the telecommunications equipment maker of stealing robotic technology from T-Mobile US Inc. Huawei said the companies resolved their dispute in 2017.
Trump told reporters at the White House that US officials are not talking about dropping the charges against Huawei.
Huawei will meet with US attorneys and the attorney general in the next few weeks, Trump said, but “at this point it is not something that we are discussing.”
Last year, Chinese company ZTE was prevented from purchasing essential components from US firms after pleading guilty to similar charges, shutting down its operations.
ZTE resumed normal activities after paying up to $ 1.4 billion in fines and replacing its entire board of directors, in addition to a nearly $ 900 million fine paid in 2017. It is unclear how ZTE could participate in any business deal.
Tech2 is now on WhatsApp. For all the latest science and technology buzz, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Just go to Tech2.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.