The empanadas are basically nothing more than bread cakes, but they are a very good example of the rich Spanish cuisine of the Galicia region. This recipe can vary from city to city and everyone in Galicia is sure to have the best empanada recipe. These can be found throughout Spain, so if you visit Barcelona, Madrid or another place in Spain you will surely find a vendor offering a delicious Apple pie.
Typically, empanadas are savory tarts filled with heavy products such as fish, chicken or pork. But nevertheless, this Spanish cake recipe belongs to the group of dessert empanadas, which are usually filled with different types of fruit and are consumed after a meal.
Ingredients to prepare an Apple Pie
To cook a rich Apple pie It will be necessary that you have a series of ingredients that you will surely have at home, and, in case you cannot buy them in any supermarket near your home. The ingredients are:
Ingredients to prepare the dough:
- 1 egg.
- A pinch of salt.
- 1 spoon of sugar.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature.
- ½ Cup of whole milk, hot.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour (remember to save some for dusting).
Ingredients to prepare the filling:
- 1 beaten egg.
- Olive oil for frying.
- 3 tablespoons of apricot jam (this ingredient is optional).
- 5 tablespoons of sugar.
- 5 Apples peeled, sour and without pipes, cut into thin two-centimeter slices.
Preparation of the Apple Pie
Well, once you have all the ingredients on the table, it is time to prepare this delicious dessert, it will not take long so you will only need a little patience.
Steps to prepare the Apple Pie:
- To prepare the dough, you must beat the egg, salt and sugar in a large bowl. In a smaller one you must dissolve the yeast in the milk and let it rest for about five minutes or until the liquid is foamy.
- Now you must add the milk and yeast mixture along with the butter to the large container and mix well.
- You must add half of the flour to the container, mix it with a wooden spoon and then add the rest of the flour little by little, mixing constantly.
- When you have added all the flour, you should remove the flour to the floured surface and knead well until it is elastic but without being sticky. This should not take more than 10 minutes.
- Now place the dough in a large bowl and cover it with a damp cloth, let the dough rise until it reaches twice its size. This could take about an hour and a half.
- Preheat the oven to 230ºC and prepare a baking sheet with olive oil.
- When the dough has risen enough, divide it into two parts on the floured surface. One part should be slightly larger than the other.
- Roll out the larger piece with the rolling pin so that it is larger than the tray. Place it on top of the prepared pan and press into the dough at the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Pierce the dough with a fork in a few places so that no bubbles form. Now, you need to place the apple slices on the dough very carefully.
- Sprinkle the apples with sugar and brush them with the apricot jam, spread the second part of the dough on a sheet smaller than the other and place it on the filling, remember to fix the edges.
- With your fingers seal the dough by pressing the two parts against each other. Pierce the top of the dough with a fork to allow steam to escape while the cake is in the oven. Paint the top with the beaten egg.
- Finally, put the Apple pie for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on a slotted tray before serving.