Last year, Europol and its many law enforcement partners took down and seized webstresser.org, one of the most notorious “starter” sites for launching distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks, which are said to have launched million attacks.
But the federal coalition doesn’t stop there. Now, Europol wants to go after its thousands of users.
As part of the collective law enforcement effort of the US, the US and many European partners in Operation Shutdown, Europol obtained a list of its 151,000 registered users. With the help of British and Dutch police, “actions are currently underway to track the user,” Europol said in a statement on Monday.
According to the police, more than 250 users of the seized DDoS services “will soon face action for the damage they caused.
“Size does not matter: all levels of users are under the radar of law enforcement, whether it is a player who is eliminating competition from a game, or a high-level hacker performing DDoS attacks against business targets to obtain financial gain, “he added. read reading.
DDoS attacks have plagued the Internet as a byproduct of faster connection speeds and easy-to-exploit vulnerabilities in the protocols that power the Internet. While many use the startup and stressor sites for legitimate services, such as testing the resilience of a corporate network to DDoS attacks, many have used them to launch large-scale attacks that can take networks offline.
When those networks support applications and services are taken offline, millions can be affected at any time.
This latest effort comes as various regional law enforcement agencies are stepping up their efforts against boot sites. At the end of last month, the FBI seized more than a dozen DDoS sites for rent, and the Romanian police also took action against the administrators of two smaller but significant DDoS platforms.