If you have ever wanted to connect a USB device to your computer and have run into problemsYou have to know that it is a fairly common problem, which nevertheless has a solution if we take the trouble to review the matter.
In fact, in many cases we are talking about a problem that is announced by the appearance of a very particular message, the USB device is not recognized, so we want to show you how to get rid of this message.
All you have to do is keep reading, because This message The USB device is not recognized has several possible solutions, so in the lines that follow you can find some good solutions to take into account in these cases.
Reasons for USB Device Not Recognized Message
First of all, then, we want to review a little which are the main reasons or reasons why the message USB device not recognized may appear on our computer, undoubtedly one of the most annoying that exist:
- The USB memory is damaged– This is one of the most common drawbacks, one whereby the device is not recognized by the computer. If you have other devices, try them to rule out this error.
- The device is poorly connected or the port is damaged: a particular USB port may be failing, and in that case we recommend that you try another, or reconnecting the pendrive.
- You don’t have the necessary drivers: sometimes the problem is more of a software problem, and in that case we recommend that you look to see if you have the drivers installed on your computer.
What to do if your Windows 10 computer does not read the pendrive?
Now, if we come across this initial problem related to your Windows 10 computer not reading from a pendrive, the next thing will be to consider some of the solutions that we can carry out in these types of situations:
Restart your computer
Although it is obviously the simplest solution, then what you have to do is start with it, restarting your PC in the traditional way, to avoid errors that could have to do with the general operation of the device.
Update the pendrive driver
Another good solution for these cases, in which you will have to follow the steps that we are going to teach you below:
- Connect your pendrive to the computer port
- When you have connected, on the Desktop press Windows + R type devmgmt.msc
- Device Manager will start
- Within this Device Manager window you have to go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
- There you should be able to see the storage devices connected to your PC
- Right click on the pendrive and click Uninstall
- Remove the device from the port and restart the computer
- When the computer turns on again, connect the pendrive to the port
- Now it should detect it without problems
- In order to carry out this method, it is necessary that you carry out in detail the steps that we will explain below:
Device in suspension
Sometimes we cannot access the contents of the pendrive on our PC as a consequence of the device being suspended, and to correct this situation you will have to carry out the following steps:
- Go to Power Options Windows 10 from Start and Windows Power Options
- When you’re there, click on the option Change power plan settings
- Deactivate the currently active plan
- Then go to Change advanced power settings
- A new box will appear, where you will be able to configure the energy options you want
- You have to go to USB Configuration seeing the new options
- There you go to USB Selective Suspend Settings
- If it shows as Enabled, you have to change it to Disabled
- When you have done the previous steps, click OK to exit Settings
- Restart the computer and try connecting the pendrive again
Update Windows 10
Updating Windows 10 can be another interesting solution in these cases, also for security reasons. For that follow these steps:
- Go to Windows Settings and there to Update and security
- Then go to Windows Update in the side panel
- At that time go to Check for updates. You will see the ones that are pending
- When they have finished installing, check if the computer reads the pendrive
Restore Windows 10
Similarly, if you still can’t find the final solution, then you have to bet on the restoration of the Windows 10 operating system, for which we are going to recommend that you continue this procedure:
- Go to Update and security through the settings panel
- Go to Recovery and there to Reset this PC
- Hit Start and then activate the option to Keep my files
- When the above is done, reconnect the USB to see if the problem is over
Install manufacturer’s drivers
Sometimes the pendrive is not read due to problems related to the manufacturer’s drivers. Our recommendation whenever you go looking for them, is that look for them directly on the manufacturer’s website, not outside of it.
What to do when your PC does not recognize the USB device?
Well, starting with the first, we have to refer then to what happens when this message appears in the first instance, the USB device is not recognized, after we have placed it. In other cases, even if there is no message, the USB does not appear in My Computer.
Connect and disconnect USB
Our first solution to get rid of the message The USB device is not recognized has to do directly with teaching you what are the steps you must perform for the procedure of connect and disconnect USB:
- Uninstall the driver from your USB device
- Reinstall the driver in question again
- Reconnect the USB device
- If the USB device is not recognized message remains, apply the CHKDSK command through the console to test the external memory drive
If you don’t know how to do it, the steps to follow are these:
- Go to the Start menu and there to Search
- Type the command CHKDSK followed by the drive in question where the USB device should appear
- Run the command
- A black window will appear where you have to type the letter S and hit Enter
- A diagnostic process will begin
- In a few seconds you will know if the Flash memory is in good condition
Update USB drivers
Another good alternative in this type of case is update USB device drivers, since in many cases when we carry out this step by step we can also get rid of the message The USB device is not recognized. For that, follow these steps:
- Go to Control Panel and then to Systems
- There go to Device Manager
- Select the controller in question
- With the right mouse button click on Update driver
- A properly connected Memory Stick should appear
Check your PC’s RAM
Another good way to get rid of the message The USB device is not recognized has to do with check PC RAM, which will allow us to verify if the main memory of the equipment is operating as it should. For that, follow these steps:
- Go to the Home screen
- There write the command MDSCHED
- Then go to Windows Memory Diagnostics
- Select Restart now and check for problems (Recommended)
- After that, type F1. Three options will appear: Basic Test, Standard Test and Extended Test
- So you can know if this section of your PC works
Other tests for your PC to recognize the USB
Of course, There are some additional tests that we can consider if the USB device is not recognized message continues to appear, some of which are very specifically the following that we are going to teach you:
Check the suspension system
The message USB device is not recognized may appear because the operating system’s selective suspend system is off or inactive. This usually happens when Windows has enabled the option to decrease the power supply. To check, do the following:
- Go to Control Panel and there to Power Options
- Within this section, go to Edit Power Plan Settings
- Then access the power options of the operating system, looking for Windows Power Options
- Change the power plan
- If necessary, go to Advanced Settings to make other changes
Backups with AOMEI Backupper Standard
Finally, if you’re still dealing with the message USB device not recognized, then we recommend that you bet on a solution that is somewhat more important, but also that is usually more effective, following these steps and using the AOMEI Backupper Standard program:
- Download AOMEI Backupper Standard on your PC
- Run the program
- Check the different available modes of use
- This will allow you to access the contents of your USB device without the classic problems of these situations.
If the problems persist, you have to know that it is likely that they are directly related to a damage that your USB pendrive may have, so we advise you to try another USB to check this.