When it comes to thinking about all the elements that are part of our smartphones on a daily basis, there is almost no doubt that some of the most interesting have to do with the location of the devices.
And in this sense, although we could stop at several of them, we want to do it very specifically in the GPS, the system that together with the GNSS or Global Satellite Navigation System, allows us to locate almost any type of device.
The truth is that when we talk about this equipment, we have to say that mobile location systems are essential, to know where we are, what shops or tourist sites we have nearby, etc..
In fact, in some cases the GPS of your smartphone allows you to access your phone even if it has been stolen, so it is an element that you should not lose sight of, especially thinking about what, for it to work, it has to be active.
That is why in the following lines we want to teach you all the details that have to do with the process to activate the GPS system of our mobile devices, regardless of whether they run iOS or Android operating system.
How to activate or deactivate the GPS of your Android
Activating or deactivating the GPS of your mobile is an extremely simple process, which in Android devices does not require much more effort than we have to do to activate or deactivate both the WiFi and the mobile data of the terminal.
To take advantage of this feature of our Android devices, what we are going to do then is use geolocation Through a location system that is incorporated into them, for which you have to follow these steps:
- From the main menu of your Android go to Settings or Settings
- Go to Personal and then to Location, although it can also be within Advanced Settings
- Activate the switch of this function until it indicates Yes or turns green, blue or orange
Once you have done the above, the applications that you have installed on your terminal will be able to access the information provided by the location system of your smartphone, something essential to get the most out of them.
If what you are interested in is being able to get to a particular place, in that case you can also take advantage of the GPS, although You must use one of the geolocation applications, such as the one called Google Maps which is installed by default.
All you have to do is add the information about the address you want to scroll to at the top of the application’s Finder, and when you have done it you will be able to visualize all this data in a very simple way.
On the other hand, and as a trick we want to tell you that many manufacturers use customization layers that allow you to turn GPS location on or off by simply scrolling the screen from top to bottom.
There you will find an icon that refers to the Location of the device, and simply by clicking on it, you will get the system to send information about your location, or otherwise, to stop doing it.
How to enable or disable GPS on your iPhone
In Apple iOS devices, such as the iPhone, we can also carry out this procedure Without too many difficulties, this time betting on a very particular step by step, the following:
- Go to the device Settings menu
- Look for the Privacy option and then the Location option
- Enable this Location option by moving the switch to the right
- Within the same section, you can decide which applications and websites will have GPS activated and access to this system. You can also indicate the specific moments in which you want the location to be sent as information
- On the other hand, if you want to search for a specific address using GPS, you have to go to the Maps application
- At the top you can write any address you want and wait for the system prompts to get there
How to activate the GPS if my mobile was stolen?
As we mentioned at the beginning of the article, we also have the possibility of trying to find the mobile phone that has been stolen from us through the GPS system, and that is why we are going to show you what are the steps you must follow according to your operating system:
- From the classic Google search engine, access the Gmail account associated with the stolen device
- At that time, enter the Google App, located in the upper bar where the image of the company appears
- Login to Account
- Then go to Access and Security and look for the option to Find your phone
- At that moment a list will open with different alternatives
- You have to choose one between Sound your mobile, Lock your mobile, Find the location of your device, Delete the data on your device, etc.
- When you have chosen one or more you can carry them out
- You will also be shown a map of the site where the mobile device is at that moment, or at least where it was the last time the GPS was activated by a user. If the GPS is not active, the reliability of the data could decrease a little
- Assuming you had the Find my iPhone option activated, you have to go to iCloud
- On this platform you can choose if you want a sound to be played from Find my iPhone or the location of the device is tracked
Even, unlike what happens in Android, iOS has been developed in such a way that if you have lost the device and whoever has it would like to return it, you can make a number appear on the screen to communicate with that person.
Also, just like on Android, you have the possibility to erase the content remotely from the device and leave it only stored in your cloud, so that if it has actually been stolen, no one will access your files.