Indo-Asian news serviceNovember 23, 2018 17:48 PM IST
On November 23, Samsung Electronics made a formal apology to all victims of work-related illnesses working on the company's chip and screen production lines, resolving the long dispute that lasted more than a decade.
The president and CEO of Samsung Electronics, Kim Ki-Nam, who heads the division of crucial device solutions of the tech giant, expresses deep regret on behalf of the company for the victims, stating that Samsung will make every effort to comply with the compensation plan prepared by the mediation committee. .
"Dear colleagues and families have suffered for a long time, but Samsung Electronics didn't deal with the matter before," Kim said. "We missed being considered with such pains and quickly resolved the problem.
"Samsung Electronics also does not manage health risks completely and completely in our production lines of liquid crystal and chip screens. Today we wish to express a sincere apology to workers who suffered illnesses, as well as their families," Kim added. .
The confrontation with the South Korean tech giant arose when Hwang Yu-mi, who worked on a Samsung chip production line, died of leukemia in 2007.
Victims have claimed that Samsung should provide compensation, apologize and propose measures to prevent new outbreaks, Yonhap Inform the news agency.
The world's largest chip maker and supporters of the Health and Rights of People in the Semiconductor Industry (SHARPS), a group of victims, agreed to accept any decision made by a mediation committee in July, unconditionally.
Earlier this month, the mediation committee announced the agreement that includes compensation of up to 150 million won (US $ 132,000) for illness. The compensation plan also covers the congenital diseases suffered by the children of the victims. However, the agreement did not recognize that the work environment is directly related to the diseases that affect some employees.
On Friday, Samsung and the victims accepted and signed the mediation plan as agreed in July. Government and industry officials also attended the event.
Kim reiterated that Samsung unconditionally accept mediation.
Samsung said the compensation will be made by a third party. – Jipyong, a South Korean law firm. The deadline for compensation is October 31, 2028, although it may be extended depending on the circumstances.
All former or former Samsung workers and their subcontractors, who have served on the company's chip and LCD production lines in Giheung, south of Sel, since 1984 will be eligible to request compensation.
Along with the compensation, Samsung donated 50 billion won to the Korea Occupational Safety and Health Agency to help improve the safety and health of workers in the country.
The fund will be used for research and construction of facilities for industrial safety.
Samsung and Jipyong plan to open an office to carry out the compensation plan in December and begin the process within this year as soon as possible.
"Honestly, today's apology made by a CEO of Samsung Electronics is not enough for victims of work-related illnesses," said Hwang Yu-mi's father, Sang-ki. "But consider the apology as the resolution of Samsung Electronics."
"We still have more tasks. Work-related illnesses are not limited to the Samsung Electronics LCD and chip segments.
"There are also sick workers from Samsung Electro-Mechanics, Samsung SDS, Samsung SDI and other affiliates, after handling dangerous substances," Hwang added. "I hope Samsung prepares comprehensive compensation for all workers suffering from such diseases."