With the arrival of iOS 12, the functionality of Siri has been strengthened so that it is now possible to make everyday tasks faster and access the applications you use most frequently. Just a simple press or asking Siri.
With iOS 12 we have available Siri Shortcuts, a great tool that will surprise you with its great potential. A Siri shortcut occurs when the assistant has recognized that you are doing certain actions and are anticipating the behavior.
Its configuration and commissioning is not complicated. With the shortcuts configured, you can do something immediately with a simple touch or saying a phrase to Siri that you have previously set.
Discover with us in this article, all the news of the latest version of Apple's operating system.
How can I configure my own Siri shortcuts?
In this article we tell you how you should proceed to automate the actions on your iPhone or iPad, as well as other Apple devices, including HomePod and Apple Watch. With the shortcuts configured, you can do something by saying a phrase.
Siri can be very practical on certain occasions for what We offer you in this article key aspects of the assistant from Apple.
What are Siri shortcuts?
Before going into details, you should know that the basis of the Siri Shortcuts application and its underlying engine come from an automation application called Workflow that Apple adopted after the purchase of a company some time ago.
Currently, Siri is a complete voice assistant with artificial intelligence that underlies Apple's operating system, so that it interacts with various elements and services.
The Siri Shortcuts feature that came with iOS 12 has two important elements:
- Shortcuts based on intelligence that Siri has gathered based on the usual behaviors carried out at certain times and places. It takes into account the use of the applications carried out by the user, in addition to the application developer must have implemented shortcuts to the application.
- Creating custom commands to carry out certain actions on your iPhone using the Shortcuts application, available in the App Store.
How to get a shortcut from Siri
Actually, it is not possible to force them to appear but that they are shown based on the things you do frequently with your device in a certain place. For example, we always see the direct access to the Cercanas application when we approach the station entrance.
You can also see a shortcut to your group of WhatsApp friends right after you have sent them for the last time or at a time of the day in which you have normally taken the opportunity to communicate with them.
To see a Siri shortcut, scroll down on the screen of your iPhone. Do it anywhere on the main screen and not from the top because you will be accessing notifications.
Check that Siri's suggestions appear. Click on one of them if you want to activate it so that the next time it is shown as a shortcut.
What happens if you don't see any Siri shortcut? There are other ways to get a shortcut from Siri, with varying degrees of complexity.
- Perform the action you want to appear as a shortcut. If you do it often enough, and as long as the application developer has added the function, the shortcut should appear.
- Go to Settings> Siri and search and, in the Suggested shortcuts section, click on All shortcuts. Here you can see the options available to you. They are based on the things you have done if you want something to appear as a shortcut here, you must have done it previously.
- Create a shortcut using the corresponding shortcut application.
- Use the shortcut provided by the application itself.
How to make Siri offer a certain shortcut
If it turns out that you want a specific shortcut, for example, FaceTime with my father, the best way to activate it if the iPhone doesn't offer it to you, is to tell Siri directly: FaceTime with my father.
You may want to disable Siri on your iPhone, for which We recommend you read this article.
How to set up a voice command from a Siri shortcut
Although we have mentioned it before, the easiest way to activate a shortcut is by voice. At first it may seem odd to speak to your phone in public, but no doubt the function will conquer you as you use it.
You can create a shortcut so that, by mentioning a single word, you can trigger a whole series of actions when you leave the office, for example. In the command, you can start a playlist, plan a route or send a message to your partner.
If you want to activate it, you will need to record a phrase to do it:
- Go to Settings> Siri and search.
- Scroll to the suggested shortcuts section.
- Click All shortcuts.
- Find a shortcut to which you want to add a voice trigger. These accesses are ordered by application. If there are more available for an application, you can click on View all to see more options.
- Press the red button on the recorder and pronounce the desired phrase.
- See the waveform as Siri is listening and save the phrase when you stop talking, without pressing again.
- If you are not satisfied with the recorded phrase, you can try again. Then, click on Done.
The next time you want to start the shortcut, simply activate Siri using Hey Siri or by pressing the start button, or with the side button on a newer iPhone, and mention the phrase corresponding to the shortcut.
What applications work with Siri shortcuts?
Among the suggested shortcuts, check that the ones that work best are the applications developed by Apple and some others from third parties. Developers must implement Siri shortcuts in their applications.
How can I know if a specific application offers direct access? First, check if the application is updated through the App Store and by tapping on Updates.
We mention some applications that offer Siri shortcuts. Some applications will have a dedicated Add to Siri button. Others will simply provide you with shortcuts depending on how you use them.
Citymapper, to mention that of a third party, does not have an Add to Siri button, but once you have used the application, you will see some shortcuts offered in Settings> Siri and search> Shortcuts.
How to add a shortcut to the home screen
If what you want is to add a shortcut from the Shortcuts application as a link on your home screen, you can do it as follows:
- Open the Shortcuts application.
- Tap on for the shortcut you wish to have on your home screen.
- Then press the icon that looks like the on / off switches.
- Here you can choose to change the icon, for which you have color tools or different ways to customize it. You can even add a photo.
- Press add to the home screen.
- Be transferred to a web page to add the shortcut to your screen. Press the Share icon as indicated.
- Press the option to add to the home screen.
- Press Add.
- The icon must be the one you created, but sometimes you only see a minimized version of the home page.
- Tap the icon and the shortcut will open. Then you will need to press Play.
How to use shortcuts on my other Apple devices
Once you have set up the voice phrases for your shortcuts, you should also be able to use them through your Apple Watch, HomePod or any brand device.
For example, we configure the shortcut to play a music list and ask our HomePod to run it. The same happened with the Apple Watch, the request being carried out.
Some shortcuts will not work with other devices. To mention an example, we could not send a text with the voice command that we have configured, although you can ask HomePod to poison a text message.
If you are not very familiar with the use and controls of your new HomePod, here we show you How to control Apple HomePod.