Smartphones Xiaomi allow a very high level of customization, and now we will learn to change app icons, to choose some designs that suit our taste.
MIUI, the Android-based operating system that Xiaomi uses, makes very simple to apply new visual themes, including wallpapers, sounds, lock screen and icons.
They usually come in a package with all the elements, but we can change only the icons if we wish, and even combine them with wallpapers or sounds of different themes.
How to check if it is an official Xiaomi product
Alternative icons can be created by Xiaomi itself or by independent designers. Sometimes they simply change the outside area of the original icons, while in other cases the redesign is complete.
This image, belonging to the theme "Clock Neon" by JD (In Designs) shows an example:
The icons on the right have completely customized, including some third-party applications (WhatsApp and Twitter), but it will be impossible to create logos for the hundreds of thousands of applications available in the Play Store.
So those that do not have their own icons are limited to show a circle around, and among them we have some as used as Instagram, Spotify or Telegram (depending on which the designer has created in each case).
Using Themes, the application integrated in MIUI
The easiest way to change the icons on the phone is to use the application that Xiaomi installs by default, and includes a lot of free content to choose from. Let's look at the steps one by one:
- We will locate the Themes app, with an icon similar to this:
- Inside the Xiaomi store we will see a great variety of designs, mostly free, organized in different categories:
- We have many options to change the icons, touch explore the store, whether browsing the cover, recommendations, the most downloaded lists or the top search engine.
- The Themes app is not too well organized, and has no fixed sections, but if we search we may find a box indicating "Cool icons", with ideas that we might like:
- Once we choose the icons that we like, we have to click on the "Free" button (almost all of the content is free) to download:
- Before pressing "Apply" we must confirm in the upper area that is marked the "Icons" option. In our opinion it is up to us to decide if we are interested in the rest of the elements of the pack (desktop background, sounds, lock screen …), because they can be installed independently, and even combine several sources:
With this we will have managed to change the mobile icons, although we may have to try several times until we find some that we like. In the previews almost all seem attractive, but after installing them they may not convince us so much.
Icon packs in the Play Store
While the Xiaomi icon catalog is very broad, we may look for something different, and in the Android Play Store there are many alternatives. The process to change the icons is a bit more complex, so we recommend it for users with some experience:
- First of all, we have to install a launcher than replace the MIUI home screen interface. A couple of reliable options are Nova Launcher or Microsoft Launcher, since they have been in the market for years and are stable.
- This procedure may be excessive if we only want to change the icons of the applications on a Xiaomi mobile, so we recommend checking what a launcher is if we do not know it, to make the right decision.
- Now play choose an icon pack, just write "icons" or "icons" (in English) for the Play Store to show results. Anyway, we leave three links that represent a good starting point:
- Download Pixel Icon Pack for Android
- Download Viral Icon Pack for Android
- Download Lines Icon Pack for Android
- The following steps vary depending on the launcher we install and the icon pack, but in general terms they are usually the same. We have to open the app with the icons, and locate the "Set" button or similar:
- Now we choose in what launcher change the icons, if we had none, we will go to the store to download it:
- After confirm change, the new icons will appear in the interface of our Xiaomi device.
In this case, the system customization be higher. The home screen, lock and Xiaomi application drawer will be replaced by the launcher, not just the icons.
If we do not like the result, the simplest is to uninstall the launcher completely, in the same way as any app, and so we will return to the MIUI interface.
And if I want to go back to the default icons?
It is possible that time after changing the icons bore us, and we do not remember how go back to the ones that Xiaomi had installed. These are the steps to do it:
- In the Themes app we will go to one silhouette icon, located in the lower right corner:
- Now we enter the "Icons" section, or "Themes" if we want to change the whole aspect of MIUI to the factory vein:
- In either case, we must change the selection to "Classic" to recover the icons that our Xiaomi brings at first:
With this we will have returned to the default icons. If we are interested in deeper customization, there are alternatives such as Android launchers, which completely modify the home screen.
In fact, Xiaomi itself has a couple of alternatives: Poco Launcher, originally created for Pocophone F1 (a sub-brand of Xiaomi), and Mint Launcher, a minimalist version of MIUI, both with interesting ideas.
However, yes we just want to change the icons, the simplest is to choose between the wide catalog that offers Xiaomi without cost. If you want to go further in personalization you can add an app that changes the wallpaper automatically, so that each day it shows a different image.
How to change the WhatsApp font
What do you think of the icons available on Xiaomi smartphones? Are you going to change the originals for different ones?