The remote desktop tool, built into Windows 10, allows you to access other computers from your own PC.
This can be very useful when you can access files or programs that are on another computer, if you have to help some friend, friend or family member to perform any task on their computers or for any other situation in which you need access to Another computer
Below we explain how you can use the remote desktop tool in Windows 10.
Can I use the Windows 10 remote desktop connection?
It is better to ask: should I use remote connection in Windows 10?
For many, the answer is probably negative. The remote desktop connection is not as easy to install as it seems compared to similar services such as VNC, Team viewer or, one of our favorites, Join.me.
These services also offer remote access to other PCs. If all you need is to view files on your computer's hard drive even if you are using another device, or help friends without having to be by your side, we recommend any of the three services mentioned.
Also plant the possibility to subscribe to a cloud storage service. Thus, by saving your files in the cloud, you can also access them from any computer or device with Internet access.
Another solution to access files from other devices are NAS or networked storage systems. If you want to discover what they are the best NAS of 2018, do not hesitate to check out this other article.
Also, keep in mind that although all versions of Windows 10 can allow remote connection, only those and those that have Windows 10 Pro installed may be the ones that access other computers.
So if you have Windows 10 Home, for example, you will not be able to find any way to use the remote control from your PC, although others will be able to connect to you remotely.
If you want to have more information about the differences between Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10, do not hesitate to click this link To find all the details you need to know.
How do you configure the remote desktop connection in Windows 10?
If you are still interested in configuring the desktop remote control and you have Windows 10 Pro, read on to discover how to configure it correctly.
The first thing you will have to do is allow access from the computer to which you want to connect remotely. For it:
- Open the File Browser, go to This team and right click on Properties
- A window will open. Select the option in the left margin of Advanced system configuration.
- A new window will open. Open the top tab of Remote access.
- Mark the option of Allow remote connections to this equipment and be sure to remove the tick Allow only connections from computers running Remote Desktop with Network-level Authentication, as it can complicate the process.
- Now, you need to know the IP address of the computer you want to access remotely to find it on the network. To do this, press the keys Windows + R and writes cmd
- A Windows terminal window appears. Writes ipconfig and press Enter Vers that a lot of information appears. Search the IPv4 address. Write down both the IPv4 and the default IP (you will have to use them later).
The IPv4 address will allow you to access the PC on your local network, but if you want to access from a WAN (for example, you want to connect to your home computer from your work), then Click on this link to find out what your IP is.
Once your PC is configured to allow remote access to your desktop, it's time to move to the PC from which you want to manage other computers. Follow the next steps:
- Go to the start menu and type Remote Desktop and select the option when it appears in the search results.
- Then, in the box that appears write the IP address and click on Connect.
- You will be asked for your name Username and password. Once you have entered the data, the PC you want to access appears on your computer as if you were using it.
Can I connect to another PC through the Internet?
Things get even more complicated if the computer you want to access is not on the same local network (LAN).
First, check that the Windows firewall is not blocking the remote connection. You can check it by opening the Windows firewall section in the control panel and selecting access to all apps.
Second, you will have to configure your router so you know the correct addresses of your computers (do this using the default configuration and WAN you noted earlier) and enable the Port Forward configuration to point to port 3389.
It is important to keep in mind that if your intention is to connect remotely to another PC daily or very continuously, the external IP address (WAN) may change.
To avoid having to rediscover the address every time this happens, you can subscribe to a dynamic DNS service such as no-ip.com, as this gives you an IP address name that you can memorize and will track any changes in your external IP address.
Many routers have built-in support for dynamic DNS, so check out their manual and select one of the services compatible with your router.
After completing this process, open the Windows start menu, search for remote desktop and select the option to connect to remote desktop. In the box that appears type the IP address and click Connect.
Enter your username and password, and then you can have remote access to the computer you are trying to connect to.
. (tagsToTranslate) Remote desktop Windows 10 Pro (t) remote desktop (t) Windows (t) windows 10 (t) remote control (t) pc (t) computers (t) software