There is no doubt that Google Assistant every day is smarter and injected with new functions to make it more useful in our daily lives. However, if you are one of the people who are concerned about the issue of privacy or sometimes you would like to silence the Assistant while you are in an important meeting (to avoid making an inappropriate appearance) then it is important that you know step by step how to deactivate the Assistant from Google, limit your detonators or give it a break time.
How to disable Google Assistant
- Disabling it completely on one of your devices is simple:
- Open the Google application on your phone.
- Touch Ms in the lower right corner.
- Touch Configuration.
- Touch Google Assistant.
- Down to Assistant Devices and touches Phone or any other device that you have registered on which you want to disable Google Assistant.
- Disable Google Assistant.
- Or you can simply say, Ok Google, sign up to tell you how to do it.
How to modify your Google Assistant settings
In the Google application you can change the settings, going to Ms > Configuration > Google Assistant as we showed above, but, and if you want to deactivate specific detonators?
- Maybe you just want to turn off voice commands, to stop activating Google Assistant by accident, but you still want it to work while driving your car. This method is for a Samsung Galaxy phone the route will be slightly different on another device.
- Go to Configuration and touches Applications.
- Touch the three vertically grouped points in the upper right corner to see more options and touch Default Apps.
- Touch Assistance Application.
- Here are several things you can change; They vary depending on your device. For example, the Galaxy S10 has the option to turn off the text on the screen or image analysis, but the Pixel 3 here gives you the option to deactivate the Active Edge, a function that allows you to squeeze the phone with your hand to activate the Google Assistant
- Touch the cone of a gear to see more options. Touch Voice match.
- Now you can disable Access with Voice Matchbut leave While driving activated.
How to temporarily disable Google Assistant on smart home devices
- It could be that you had a smart speaker, a smart screen or a smart watch, and you want to disable the Google Assistant for a while, or you want to turn it off regularly at specific times. You can do it, using Inactivity in the Google Home application. This is how it is done:
- Open the Google Home application.
- Touch Home and choose a device.
- Touch the gear of Configuration.
- Touch Digital Wellness > New schedule.
- Choose all the devices to which you want to apply it, and then touch Next.
- Choose the days and choose a schedule or create a personalized one and then touch Next.
- Choose the start time and the final end time, then Next > Ready.
- If you change your mind, it is easy to reverse all these settings along the same path. Keep in mind that Google Assistant is constantly improving and you can take full advantage of the correct voice commands.
* Updated by Mara Teresa Lopes on January 15, 2020.