CES 2019 left the bar high for Google, as the company that runs Sundar Pichai fill the streets and buildings of Las Vegas with its Hey Google, in a large-scale deployment to show the competition that its Assistant had great news.
One of the innovations presented at that time was an intrusive mode, which can translate conversations in real time, a feature that supports the machine learning and engineering skills of the internet search giant.
The truth is that in this 2020, Google not only filled the streets and buildings of Las Vegas again with its "Hey Google", but also held a conference where I highlight the new features that will arrive this 2020 to the Google Assistant.
In a presentation that lasted approximately 40 minutes, the manufacturer showed some images of how the Google Assistant can now translate in real time in more than 30 languages ??and other updates. But not only that, after the presentation, a great Google logistics team was responsible for directing a tour to all journalists through all the infrastructure that looked like an amusement park, where you could interact with Google Assistant, ask questions, test the new updates and even see it handle all the implements of the room as if it were magic.
To know in detail and in a simple way what will be the updates that will arrive at the Google Assistant, we take advantage of our visit at the event to interview Lilian Rincn, Product Director for the development of the Google Assistant, who also anticipates what is the great goal that is proposed to achieve this technological giant.
Rincn assures us that when these updates come into force, people can consider the Google Assistant as a personal translator, able to help you if you are traveling in a country with a language you don't know, you want to read a foreign book or even become a fundamental tool in places that frequent hundreds of tourists like hotels.
In addition, Rincn told us that with these and other updates that will arrive soon they want the Google Assistant to become the main tool for help and work in the world.
Here?s a brief summary of some of the announcements made by Google at CES 2020
- In order to improve language and speech comprehension to provide more options to cell phones, Google incorporates a preview of a new experience that allows the natural reading of long format content, which reconsiders traditional screen readers such as Pixel Slate Now the voices are more expressive and natural, less robotic, which makes them easier to hear for longer periods. Ask Google to read a text or website; In addition, you can translate the texts into 42 languages, obviously including Spanish.
- Speaking of languages, Google informed that the Interpreter mode, the real-time translation function that allows you to start fluid conversations with someone who does not speak your language, now be present, through its partners Volara and SONIFI, in businesses all over the world. world, such as hotels, airports, sports event organizations, organizations that carry out humanitarian efforts, banks and more. Terminal 4 of the John F. Kennedy International Airport, Mercy Corps and HSBC are just a few examples.
- Another of the news announced is the particular control of smart devices in the home, with a function called Scheduled Actions, which will exit this 2020. You can ask the Assistant to turn on or off (or start or stop) a smart device at any time. Just say: Hi Google, turn on the coffee maker at 6:00 am. Thus, within the Google Home application, you can control more than 20 new devices, including air conditioning units, air purifiers, bathtubs, coffee makers, vacuum cleaners and more. More and more smart devices of important brands work with the Assistant and you can find many in the Google Store, including August smart locks, Philips Hue HDMI Sync Box, Telus Wi-Fi Hub routers, GE Appliances, MOEN showers, D-Link, VIAROOM and ms.
- The Assistant also reaches new entertainment devices such as displays, speakers, headphones and soundbars from Acer, Aftershokz, Anker Innovations, Belkin, Cleer, Harman Kardon, Konka, JBL, Lenovo, Philips, Seiki and LG. Regarding televisions, Android TV has been improved to make it easier for manufacturers to incorporate long-range microphones into their equipment, so that they work like any smart speaker from your seat. The first brands to incorporate this are Hisense and TCL, and smart TVs launched by Samsung in 2020 will also feature the Assistant.
- In familiar and everyday functions, digital sticky notes can now be created on your smart screen, so that everyone shares important reminders and updates. You just have to say something like: Hey, Google, create a note that says I already fed the cat.
- Finally, privacy is an important focus in this deepening of the Assistant at CES 2020, so more ways were announced to give users control over their configuration and data using only voice. When the Assistant is in sleep mode, do not send anything you say to Google or anyone else. The audio recordings you make, you decide whether or not to accept that Google retains them to improve its products. Two other actions announced at CES 2020 with which you can control your privacy are Hey Google, that was not for you, so that the Assistant discards something heard by mistake. And if you ask: Hey, Google, are you recording my audio data? You will have access to your privacy controls and you can change your preferences.
* Updated by Mara Teresa Lopes on January 7, 2020.