Today we have a wide range of options to play, of all tastes and styles. But if something sounds, it looks and plays like in the 80/90, the child inside us wants to play it.
Many will not know that the first video games were loaded using cassette tapes, the colors were white, black or monochrome and the sound was a series of noises coming from a speaker.
They have evolved over time, but we are going to take our Delorean to a specific date, October 29, 1988, that day in Japan a 16-bit console appeared among us and its creator was Sega. We talk about the Sega Mega Drive (or Sega Genesis). And today we are going to see how we can enjoy the experience of playing with it on our Android devices.
Sega Mega Drive, a little history
Being a 16-bit console it belongs to the fourth generation of consoles. It was the third SEGA console and successor to the Sega Master System, it was released in 1988 in Japan, one year later in 1989 in the United States and the following year in 1990 in Europe.
One of the curiosities of the Mega Drive is that your hardware is an adaptation of the plate used in Arcade System 16. So it was one of the first attempts to bring the Arcade experience to our classrooms. These are its specifications:
- Motorola 68000 16-bit primary processor a 7.61 MHz PAL | 7.67 MHz NTSC.
- Secondary processor Zilog Z80 from 8 bits to 3.55 MHz PAL | 3.58 MHz NTSC.
- 64Kb of main RAM | 64Kb of RAM video | 8Kb of RAM sound.
- Yamaha YM2612 6-channel FM sound chip.
- Additional sound chip PSG Texas Instruments SN76489.
- Yamaha YM7101 graphics processor
Today these specifications would cause laughter, but at that time it was a very respectable hardware, now let's see how we can emulate it.
Looking for a Sega Mega Drive emulator
The first thing we need is to find an emulator, with this emulator we can play the games of our protagonist. Being a console for so long, on computers have been purged until we reach our Android devices.
There are quite a few alternatives available, but we have selected three, which are considered the ones that They offer us an experience close to the original console. The one that stands out above all is MD.emu but being paid, maybe I will take back more than one, so we have accompanied it with two other free options. To get one satisfactory emulation requirements are quite affordable, so any moderately modern device should have no problem.
Without the right command the feeling is lost
I am a Mega Drive user, I have it stored in its original box, so I have in my memory the feeling of playing using its controls. Forget about triggers, vibration and other modern things. The command of the Mega Drive consisted of of a cross-piece, three buttons -There was a 6-button version- and the button start, a detail about the controls, there was a wireless version.
Then over time I have been playing in emulators, but soon I stopped playing because I didn't get the same feeling, either playing with keyboard or using an original Xbox controller. So I decided find some solution to be able to use the original remote or some modern replica. Already in its day I made an adapter to use the original computer command, but as much as I search, our Android devices do not have a parallel port. So my only option went through three letters, USB.
We will need a USB OTG adapter and also configure the emulator to make good use of the remote
Looking for the network, in my effort to have the same feeling and experience of the game, I found two possibilities. The first option is to use an adapter and thus be able to connect the original controls to our smartphone or tablet. The second option is to use a replica of the original remote, which despite not being 100% accurate, does give us that retro feel when playing.
Mayflash PC054 Mega Drive Genesis Controller Adapter for PC and Mac USB
retro-bit-pc-7017 USB controller with 6 Buttons
Without games, there is no fun
We already have emulator and command, so far everything is correct, but a console without games is nothing. On the internet it is easy to find a list of Mega Drive games, we have available from platforms, through sports and RPG. Although there are a number of titles that you should play and give this great era a chance that were the 16 bits.
- Sonic The Hedgehog 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles: Sonic and Mega Drive are a couple that will always remain united. His trilogy to which the expandable cartridge Sonic & Knuckles joined, offer us hours of fun and especially speed.
- Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle: It is the first appearance in Mega Drive of, until the arrival of Sonic, a reference character of SEGA. A platform where errors are not allowed.
- Aladdin: Virgin made a game at the height of a great movie, Digicel technology was used to pass the paper drawings to the game. If you liked the movie, you will enjoy this game.
- Castlevania The New Generation: The first game in the Castlevania saga on a SEGA console, squeezes our console both graphically and musically.
- Comix Zone: A revolutionary action title at the time, in which we must go through history through a comic, there were three endings according to our decisions throughout the game.
- Golden Ax: A game that was transferred directly from the recreational to our classroom. A classic Beat ?em up with swords, magic and dragons, what more could you ask for.
- Gunstar Heroes: Game cataloged within the Run & Gun genre, full of action that together with charismatic characters, a great artistic sense along with an aesthetic of their own, make them those essential games.
- Street of Rage 1, 2 and 3: Beat ?em up full of action, wrapped in a solid plot, that put us in the shoes of three characters. The number of enemies, objects and situations do not give you a break. Recommended to play with a friend.
- Landstalker – The Treasures of King Nole: If we were to play a single RPG in our life, this game would be a great choice. Puzzles, a well-balanced difficulty curve, isometric perspective, all accompanied by a soundtrack that was released on CD.
- Flashback: A surprising game in its time, in which the player is raised a rather serious plot, levels in which the best of one is demanded. If we add to this a careful graphic level, even in the smallest detail, together with superb animations, it becomes a game to play.
- Super Street Fighter II: Super edition of the fighting game par excellence of the time. New range of colors, more attacks available, more melodies and a great increase in game speed. All this together with the incorporation of four new fighters, made it the object of desire of every lover of fighting games.
- The Revenge of Shinobi: If there was a magic word for martial arts lovers, that was the word Ninja. We are facing the second installment of the Shinobi trilogy, with a rather high difficulty, shurikens and the occasional special enemy – one of them is known as The Dark Knight.
- Thunder Force IV: Shoot ?em up or also called the classic matamarcianos, of devilish difficulty, full of action and shooting in abundance. It enjoys a remarkable technical finish.
- Virtua Racing: Game that toured the recreational circuits based on System 1, but SEGA was willing to break the two dimensions in Mega Drive and go if it did. We are talking about a 16-bit console that thanks to the SVP chip could run a game in which we could change views, the damages affected the game and the possibility of playing 1 vs. 1. Only ahead of its time is a game at Than give it a try.
- Dynamite Heady: A game that beats you from the first moment, a game with its own style, which introduced us fully into the atmosphere of the story. Stresses its protagonist that can be said to lose his mind a lot.
Gaming Retro: How to live the Super Nintendo experience on your Android
Have you ever wanted to enjoy the experience of Super Nintendo mtica on Android? Today we talk in detail about this console that marked little.