There is a genre in the world of video games that has been with us almost since the beginning, we talked about graphic adventures, a style of play that had its golden age in the 80s and 90s.
After a few years where it has had a minor role, the shooters and consoles have done their thing, the graphic adventures have found a resurgence within the Android ecosystem. You could say that they live a second golden age on tablets, since their design and way of using is tailored for this type of games.
Just as there are emulators for consoles, to which we like graphic adventures, we saw the doors of paradise open the day we could run our favorite graphic adventures, on our computers first and then made the leap to our Android devices.
You may be surprised that a computer emulator is needed for something that was designed for them, but today's computers are so powerful that running software from 20 years ago becomes unfeasible. In addition, thanks to this need, the Android version of this "emulator" was developed, what is it called? We talk about ScummVM.
Enjoy your graphic adventures with ScummVM
The name of ScummVM comes from Scumm Virtual Machine, what is scumm? If you are wondering this, you are too young or you have never been interested in graphic adventures.
Scumm comes from Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion, which is a mix of language and game engine for graphic adventures. It was created by LucasArts in principle for his first Maniac Mansion game. During the 80s and 90s it was used in many titles of the time, becoming a very popular graphic adventure engine.
In 2001, ScummVM was launched, which was initially a program to run LucasArts 'graphic adventures, but which over time has added compatibility with other developers' titles.
Without graphic adventures, there is no fun
We have everything ready to enjoy this genre, the way to play on Android from the emulator is not too complicated. These types of games were based on the use of the mouse, with which we have to press to move, talk and interact in the game environment.
We are facing a genre that has a lot of jewelry from video games
If we talk about graphic adventures there is a name that stands out above others, LucasArts. The LucasFilms production company needed its company to start developing videogames and to not depend on anyone, LucasFilms Games was created, which later changed its name to LucasArts. It can be considered that they took the art of cinema to the world of videogames, where in graphic adventures they knew how to make authentic works of art.
- Day of the tentacle: Also called Maniac Mansion 2, since its history continues a while after what happened in Maniac Mansion. A game in which we put ourselves in the shoes of three characters, each with their own puzzles and … everything you do in the past will impact the future.
- Full Throttle: Game set in the near future, we will embody Ben where we should prove our innocence. It has an enveloping history and a very careful finish, the only drawback it has is its short duration.
- Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis: A game based on Indiana Jones that has a story divided into three phases. During the game we can be accompanied by his co-star Sofia. All the decisions we make will have an impact, so the story will change according to our choices.
- Indiana Jones and the last crusade: A game based on the plot of the movie of the same name, to give the player some freedom, there are parts of the movie that are not included. We are facing a great adventure of our favorite archaeologist.
- Maniac Mansion: A game full of winks to the B series cinema, where we will play the young Dave Miller. We will help our protagonist to rescue his girlfriend from a mad scientist, all full of drops of humor, a careful aesthetic. As a curious fact, the design of the mansion is based on Skywalker Ranch.
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge: We are facing the new adventures of Guybrush Threepwood, who will be dispossessed of his wealth by Largo LaGrande. We must find the treasure of Big Whoop, conquer Elaine Marley's love again and face the zombie pirate LeChuck.
- Sam & Max: Hit the road: Based on the comic characters created by Steve Purcell, Sam & Max: Freelance Policy. We will embody the detective duo in an adventure full of claws and teeth, all full of a great sense of humor.
- The curse of Monkey Island: Third installment of our favorite pirate story, we will once again embody Guybrush Threepwood where we will try to solve the problems caused by the zombie pirate LeChuck.
- The secret of Monkey Island: We are facing one of the best known games, but few have played. Our adventure takes us to Melee Island, where we will put ourselves in the shoes of the young Guybrush Threepwood who wants to be a fearsome pirate. To carry out his wish, he has no other occurrence than to look for pirates in the area, who will entrust him with fun adventures, full of humor. A totally recommended game.
A British company that developed some graphic adventures, they still exist today, although their great contribution to the world of graphic adventures, bears in the name of Simon the Sorcerer.
- Simon the Sorcerer: We will be the young Simon, who by avatars of fate will be transported to a world of magic and with a mission … rescue the magician Calypso from the clutches of the evil sorcerer Sordid.
- Simon the Sorcerer 2: Again incarnating Simon, we must find a way to get an enormously powerful fuel, called blandimoco. Thanks to him we can go home, but the plot has prepared surprises, all full of magical humor.
The creators of the Virtual Theater game engine, had its glory era especially thanks to the appearance of the Broken Sword title. They stand out for aesthetic care to the smallest detail.
- Broken Sword: The shadows of the templars: A reporter who encounters a strange event will follow clues throughout Paris. A story in which little by little we will go into mysteries, all of them related to the Knights Templar.
- Broken Sword II: The smoking mirror: We must look for the girlfriend of the protagonist, George Stobbart. In a story where a series of adventures happen, where some pieces of the puzzle are an Aztec god and a conspiracy on a solar eclipse.
Developer and distributor of video games, together with LucasArts we are talking about one of the greats in the world of graphic adventures. She was the pioneer in the genre with her first title called Mistery House that was published in 1980. Then she would be followed by a large list of titles, in which the quality increased in each new game.
- King Quest I / II / III / IV / V / VI: Games developed by the creators of Sierra, we will find ourselves in a story full of mythology and choices between good or evil. A saga totally recommended.
- Leisure Suit Larry 1/2/3/4/5/6: A game full of adult humor and fun, which caused a sensation at the time. We embody Larry an anti-hero, whose mission will be to connect with women, whether in a hotel, casino or in the city. There was an episode that had to be censored for its explicit content.
- Space Quest I / II / III / IV / V: Game inspired by King Quest, in which we will transfer the story to outer space. Like the previous title, we are facing a saga taken care of in the smallest detail, with a very well worked history. Recommended one hundred percent.
- Discworld and Discoworld 2: The creators of Lemmings, also made graphic adventures, highlighting those based on Terry Pratchet's novels, where in addition to the high quality story, we found a very careful aesthetic to the smallest detail.
If you do not know EA, it is that you are very young, so young that you do not know how to read or one day you decided to enter your bunker and forgot your key. Electronic Arts among all genres in which it develops games, had its contribution in the genre of graphic adventures. Making titles with a spectacular level of quality, both in history and graphics.
- The lost files of Sherlock Holmes: The case of the serrated scalpel:
- The lost files of Sherlock Holmes: The case of the rose tattoo: A game longer than its predecessor, which has a greater degree of historical accuracy and detail. Real animations are used, under pre-set scenarios, all with a plot in which we will put ourselves in the role of Watson and Holmes.