Android is a great operating system for mobile touch devices, but have you ever thought of Android as a computer operating system? We are sure you have! Everyone believes that Android can be a decent computer operating system over time, considering that it has many functions and more than a billion applications, but the problem is that it was not designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse. Well, that's what Jide's Remix OS plans to change.
Remix OS: The dream of the PC with Android may come true soon
Remix OS is a desktop operating system created in the open code project to Android x86, which has an environment of multiple windows created with Android 5.0 Lollipop (According to Jide, soon make the leap to Android 6.0 Marshmallow). The operating system is aimed at people who want to use an Android PC in the conventional way, through a keyboard and a mouse. So, basically, you can go ahead and make Android run on your Windows PC, Mac or Linux with Remix OS. Another good thing is that you can run Remix OS from a USB flash drive instead of going through the trouble of canceling your current OS.
Speaking of the operating system interface, the home screen brings a Start menu, a taskbar and a system tray similar to the one we see in Windows. In general, it has a experience very similar to that of Windows, Even when it comes to applications. The Android applications here have been optimized to play well with the functionality of multiple Remix OS windows. Like Windows, applications can be minimized, maximized and even several application windows can be run over each other. The current alpha version does not have Google Play Store, but you can download it and get more than 1.6 billion applications offered by Android.
While there are already some Android computers on the market, such as Google's own Pixel C, the problem is that the native Android experience is not yet complete for a PC. This is where we found Remix OS interesting. While the operating system is in an incipient state, it is going in the right direction and definitely worth a try. The operating system could also be a reason for developers to start creating more Android operating systems like this, with a new Phoenix operating system that is already collecting news as the alternative of the Remix operating system. Well, more competition, more options for us.
Returning to the Remix operating system, as you might have guessed in the title, we are here to tell you how you can install the Remix operating system on a Windows PC. Here is how to do it:
Run Remix OS on a Windows PC through a USB flash drive
- 8 GB + USB 3.0 FAT32 flash drive
- 64-bit CPU (Intel and AMD)
Note: We tried to run Remix OS on a USB 2.0 flash drive and, although it works, you can only use "Guest Mode". The operating system is also not compatible with previous ARM CPUs that work with some previous Chromebooks and Macs.
Install Remix OS on a USB flash drive
Note: The alpha compilation of the Remix operating system is available to be installed here and, since it is an early developer compilation, you might have errors. But fortunately, you can run the operating system from the USB flash drive itself, so do not worry about losing your system data.
1. Download the Remix OS package (around 700 MB) and extract it. The "legacy" version is for older PCs, while the EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) version is for modern PCs, which have higher and faster storage hard drives. We will recommend the legacy version if you have a traditional Windows PC and an EFI version if you have a new and high-end Mac or PC with Windows, so download accordingly. The package includes the file ISO Remix OS and the Remix OS USB tool .
Note : To check if your Windows PC supports legacy files or EFI, press the Windows key + R and type "MSInfo32". Then check the BIOS mode.
two. Format the USB flash drive which you will use in format FAT32 .
3. Run the Remix OS USB tool and select the ISO file from the extracted folder. Click on " To accept "to start the process.
Four. The tool start copying files and installing Remix OS on the flash drive. Once this is done, the tool will ask you to restart your PC. Click on " Restart "to do it immediately or in" Go out "if you want to do it later.
Boot the Remix operating system from a USB flash drive
1. Connect the Remix OS bootable USB flash drive to the PC.
two. Go to the BIOS settings on your PC by pressing F12 / F2 or any of the keys that your system supports. Then, go at boot options and disable "Safe Boot" . Then, configure the USB flash drive as the first boot option and restart your PC.
3. The PC will start through the USB flash drive and you will be presented with two options: the mode "Resident" and the mode "Invited" . The Resident mode in Remix OS allows you to save data, applications and settings to the flash drive, while the Guest mode does not allow you to save anything. Select the mode you prefer.
Four. After selecting a mode, Remix OS will start for the first time. It may take a while depending on your system settings.
5. Then, the operating system will configure the language settings, the WiFi connection, the user agreement, etc. Once the configuration is complete, see the home screen of Remix OS.
How to install Google Play Store & Services
Jide says he is in talks with Google to bring his services from the Play Store to Remix OS, but the current alpha version does not have a Play Store. Well, Android has no limitations, which means you can install Google Play services on the Remix operating system quite easily. This is how you can do it:
1. Go to the start menu of Remix OS and open " Browser ". Download the file APK GMSInstaller from this link here and instill it.
Note : As with other Android devices, you must first go to Configuration -> Security -> Allow unknown sources to load and install applications .
two. Open the application and click on " one click to install Google services ". The application start downloading the necessary files.
3. Once this is done, see the Google Play Store icon in the start menu. You can then open the Store and log in with your Google account and install the applications you want.
How to update Remix OS
Currently, Jide does not offer automatic updates over the air, but you can obtain them manually. The process is quite simple, since all you need to do is record the last compilation of the Remix operating system on the same flash drive you have been using without formatting it. That will give you the latest version of Remix OS without losing any of your applications or data.
Remix OS is Android with a touch of Windows
Remix OS is certainly an innovative twist for Android and we love the little time we use it. With the traction that Jide is receiving, we can expect a more stabilized version of the operating system with Google Play services pre-installed very soon. Until then, try Remix OS alpha and enjoy Android in a new and unique way. Let us know in the comments section below what you feel about Remix OS.