In this article we show you how to configure Apple Pay on your iPhone so you can make payments with your mobile phone without having to resort to the use of debit or credit cards. This is what you must do to get it started.
As you know, the different generations of iPhone have been adopting different security measures so that you may have to use your Touch ID or Face ID depending on your model. We tell you step by step how to proceed with each of them.
- Make sure you have an iPhone compatible with the latest version of iOS.
- Add your credit or debit card to the Wallet application.
- Check with your bank the verification of your card.
- Mark the card you want to set as default for payments.
- Bring your iPhone to any payment terminal.
- Use your fingerprint, access code or FaceID (if you have an iPhone X or higher) to confirm your identity.
What iPhone models can Apple Pay use?
You need an iPhone compatible with the latest version of iOS, with what follows, we show you the list of the iPhone in which you can configure and use Apple Pay.
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- Iphone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
In addition, Apple Pay can also be used with your Apple Watch or some Mac computers, depending on the version.
How to add a card to use with Apple Pay
If you are one of whom your bank is compatible with Apple Pay, you should know that you can add your credit or debit cards to use with Apple Pay. As of today, there are countless banks that are compatible, 43 in Spain. Check the list
So, before you can use Apple Pay with your iPhone, you must add your credit and debit cards to the Wallet application. If you have more than one Apple device, you must add the details to each device.
- Open the Wallet application.
- Click on the + sign in the upper right corner.
- Touch on Continue.
- Click the Add another card option.
- Vers that a box appears. Tilt the camera and match your card inside the box to be scanned.
- The Wallet application should be able to recognize your card number and its expiration date.
- The next screen should show you the card details, with the name and card number that will be added automatically.
- Check that the data is correct, or modify the one that is wrong.
- Click on next.
- Vers that the due date appears. Check again that it is correct and make the appropriate corrections.
- Add your 3-digit security code from the back of your card.
- Apple will contact the servers to add your card.
- Accept the terms and conditions and wait while your iPhone has just set up Apple Pay with the newly added card.
- The next step is the verification of the card. You can choose if you want to verify your card by calling your bank or through a text message. If you choose the latter, your bank will send you a text code as a confirmation.
- If you have an Apple Watch, you can see the Add to Apple Watch option. First you must unlock your smart watch and you must be close and not in avin mode. The Add card option appears on your iPhone in the Apple Watch application. Click Accept and verify by text message (or by phone call).
- If you have another card to add to your iPhone, tap on the + sign again.
- Note: The verification phase does not necessarily have to happen at the same time you added the card. You can come back later to verify it. Go to Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay, or simply open Wallet again.
How to remove an Apple Pay card
You can also add or remove an Apple Pay card through the Settings on your iPhone. Follow the next steps:
- Access your iPhone Settings.
- Scroll to Wallet and Apple Pay.
- Click Add credit or debit card if you want to add a new one.
- If you have other cards, they will be reflected here showing only the last four digits. If you wish to delete one, click on it and scroll down to click on the option Delete card.
How to pay with Apple Pay with Touch ID
To pay with Apple Pay using your iPhone and using your Touch ID, follow these instructions:
- Approach your iPhone to the payment terminal contactless from the point of sale terminal. Your iPhone should automatically detect the presence of the terminal and open the Wallet application automatically.
- If your phone uses Touch ID, place your finger already registered on the iPhone on the Touch ID sensor to confirm the purchase.
- If Touch ID does not work or was not configured on your device, you can use the unlock password of your iPhone as an alternative.
- Note: You do not need to unlock your iPhone or start Wallet to use Apple Pay. Apple Pay is activated by simply bringing the mobile phone to the payment terminal.
How to pay with Apple Pay with iPhone X
From the generation of iPhone X, the start button associated with Touch ID went to a better life, so that the most comfortable way to make payments with the iPhone X or iPhone 11 models, is to use Face ID. This is what you should do:
- Press the side button twice (power button).
- Look at your iPhone to authenticate using Face ID.
- Keep your iPhone near the terminal contactless to complete the transaction.
If you are using Apple Pay online or in an application on your iPhone X, the device already knows that you are t, but you will still need to press the side button twice to confirm that you want the payment to be made.
For example, if you are buying an application in the App Store, you must press the side button twice to confirm that you want to buy it. You will have 30 seconds to complete the transaction. Otherwise, you will have to repeat the process again.
How to change the card with which Apple Pay pays
If you wish to pay with a card other than the one you normally use by default in Apple Pay, you can change the card in the Wallet application (assuming it is configured and verified). This is what you should do:
- From the lock screen, double-tap the home button on your iPhone. (Or double tap the side button on an iPhone X).
- This will show your default card and the other cards stacked under it.
- Scroll to locate the desired card and click on it.
- You can also change the card you use as default from the Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay section.
How to choose a default card for Apple Pay
The operation is simple, with the incentive that you can change or set the one you want at any time.
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Scroll to Wallet and Apple Pay.
- Vers all the cards added. Scroll to the one you want to set.
- Click on the desired one to mark it as the default card for your payments.
How to use Apple Pay to make payments in applications
If you want to shop on-line Within an application, instead of doing it in a physical store or supermarket, you should know that you can also use Apple Pay to make payments for those that involve a cost.
Depending on the application, you may need to allow the application to access Apple Pay, or configure Apple Pay as your default payment method.
It's simple. Press the button to allow payment by Apple Pay. Check that all the details are correct, in the same way that you will do with any payment with credit or debit card.
Similarly, verify that the payment information and contact information are correct. If Apple Pay is adding incorrect information, you should correct it again by accessing Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay on your iPhone.
In the case of having a generation iPhone prior to the iPhone X, you must place your finger on the Touch ID scanner to complete the payment.
. iPhone XR (t) iPhone 7 Plus (t) iPhone 6s Plus (t) iPhone X (t) iPhone 7 (t) Apple (t) Mac (t) Apple Watch (t) smart watch (t) App (t) iPhone (t) iPhone 6s (t) App Store (t) iOS (t) iPhone 8 Plus (t) iPhone 8 (t) iphone (t) iPhone 6 Plus (t) iphone 6 (t) Touch ID ( t) iphone (t) ios-apps (t) apple (t) tips (t) table of contents