It happened to you that you see a last minute offer in your store, but you don't have your credit card at hand to take advantage of it? Or maybe how cumbersome and tedious the process finally forces you to give up? If you are a devoted Apple user, there is an easier and more convenient way to pay. To make your shopping experience as expeditious as possible, we will explain how to use Apple Pay to store your credit, debit and loyalty cards on your favorite Apple device. And if you are new to Apple Pay, or simply have questions about the service, we will take advantage of clarifying all your doubts.
Devices compatible with Apple Pay
Apple Pay is compatible with most modern devices. Currently, it works with iPhones from iPhone SE to iPhone 11 and all Apple watches. It is also compatible with the fifth generation of iPad, iPad Pro, iPad Mini 3 and 4 and iPad Air 2. As if that were not enough, if you have a device running MacOS Sierra or a later version, Apple Pay should work perfectly.
Banks that support Apple Pay
Apple Pay has the support of most financial institutions and credit card companies in the US. UU. Apple provides an updated list of all financial institutions that accept Apple Pay.
Stores, websites and applications compatible with Apple Pay
Apple Pay is backed by hundreds of brands and websites, which include 7-Eleven, GameStop, Etsy, Staples, and Fandango, and the best thing is that more and more are being added. You can find the current list of compatible retailers here and you can also check our comprehensive list of companies that accept Apple Pay.
Also, many third-party applications also allow you to use Apple Pay. You can check some of those applications here. And, of course, if you regularly buy applications or other Apple digital items such as music, movies, applications, books and more, you have the excellent option of doing so with Apple Pay.
How to set up Apple Pay?
You can add up to eight cards to Apple Pay through its various compatible devices if, for example, you intend to use it on your iPhone and Apple Watch, you must add your cards to both devices.
How to add cards to an iPhone and an iPad?
- On your iPhone, open the Wallet application. On your iPad, go to Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay. Touch the sign (+) and then continue to add your credit or debit card to Apple Pay.
- To add the card, place it in the frame. The application automatically scans the front of your card to get its number and records it in the section Card details. Choose Following.
- Scroll to record the expiration date of your card and enter the security code. When you're done, select Following.
- The screen Add card Appears when Apple Pay communicates with your bank to verify its authenticity. When you're done, you'll get a page of Terms and conditions That you should accept.
- The pages Add card and Card Verification they appear successively, showing your email address and phone number.
- You have the option to verify your card by phone or complete the process later.
- You may need to contact your bank to complete the verification process. Once completed, touch Following And you're ready to use Apple Pay.
- A set of instructions will be displayed explaining how to use Apple Pay with card readers. Touch Continue.
- You can continue adding your card to your Apple Watch by touching Add now. If you don't want to do it, press Ready.
How to add cards to a Mac?
To add cards to your Apple Pay with your Mac, you must use a model equipped with Touch ID. On devices that do not have this built-in identification bar, simply buy your item with Apple Pay on your iPhone or Apple Watch.
On your iPhone, go to Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay> Allow payments on Mac and activate the control.
How to add cards to a Mac with Touch ID?
- To add a card to your Mac, you must go to System preferences> Wallet and Apple Pay, then click on Add card.
- Follow the instructions on the screen. If you are asked to add the card you use with your Apple ID, enter the security code, which is on the back of your card and press Following.
- The bank or card issuer will verify the information and decide if you can add the card to Apple Pay. They may require more information to verify. When you have the information, return to System Preferences> Wallet and Apple Pay and touch your card.
- After your bank or issuer verifies the card, touch Following. After that, you can start using Apple Pay.
How to add cards to Apple Watch?
To add a card to your Apple Watch, open the Watch application on your iPhone. You see the pestaa My watch and select the watch you are going to use with Apple Pay. Touch Coin purse and Apple Pay> Add credit or debit card.
- To add a card to your Apple Watch, you must open the Watch application on your iPhone. Go to the pestaa My watch and select the device on which you use Apple Pay. Choose Wallet and Apple Pay> Add card.
- You may need to configure an access code. It can be a simple one of four digits or you can also choose to unlock the watch with your iPhone. If you activate the option of Delete data, delete your watch after 10 failed attempts. As an additional security measure, the device locks if it is not in your face.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add your card or enter the security code associated with your card. The steps to add a new card to your watch without essentially the same as for your iPhone. The application stores the card number and asks you for the expiration date and the security code.
- I touched Following and the information will be verified with your bank. You will be asked to approve the terms and conditions and press To accept.
- The card verification screen is displayed. You can contact your bank to complete the process or do it later. In some cases, the bank may require more information. Check it in Bank calls and select Following.
- After verifying the information, select again in Following to finish the configuration process. Be notified that the card is ready to be used on your watch.
How to add a benefits card?
You can also add several reward cards to the Wallet application for use with Apple Pay. Instead of choosing Add credit or Debit card, you can add it as one of your Passes. Once done, you can have it appear automatically in a store by opening the Wallet application, by touching the card and the “i“, And activating the Automatic selection.
If you have trouble adding a card to any of your devices, try restarting your device. Then, make sure you're running the latest version of iOS, WatchOS or MacOS. As a last resort, if it doesn't work for you, try removing the card and then add it again.
How to use Apple Pay in Safari
Using Apple Pay in Safari is quite simple, although you will still need an iPhone, iPad or Mac that supports this function.
Make a payment with an iPhone, iPad or MacBook Pro with Touch ID
- Touch the button Apple Pay or Buy with Apple Pay.
- Recheck your billing, shipping and other information.
- To use a different card on iPhone or iPad, touch the “>” symbol next to the selected card.
- To use a different card on the MacBook Pro, press the up or down arrows next to the current card.
- When you are ready to confirm your purchase and pay:
- On iPhone and iPad, place your finger on the Touch ID scanner. If payment is accepted, check Done and check mark.
- On the MacBook Pro, you should follow some steps in the touch bar. Put your finger on the Touch ID sensor, as you will on an iOS device. If the Touch ID is deactivated, touch the Apple Pay cone, and you will be shown the steps to enable the function. When the payment is complete, you will see a message and a check mark.
Make a payment using Mac
This is largely the same as using Apple Pay on a MacBook Pro, with some small things that must be verified.
- To start, you must log in to the same Apple Pay account as your iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch. After this, you must activate Bluetooth for your Mac to use any credit or debit card added to your iOS or Apple Watch device.
- Touch the button Buy with Apple Pay or Apple Pay, then verify your information or change the cards as you will on a MacBook Pro.
- To pay, place your finger on the touch identification sensor of your iPhone, or double click on the side button of the Apple Watch. When your payment is successful, you will receive a message and a check mark.
How to check your transaction history
You can review your recent transactions by opening the Wallet application. Initially, you will only be shown the last transaction made with a card. To see more than that, touch the card and cone i, followed by the tab Transactions.
* Article updated by Rodrigo Orellana on November 24, 2019.