In the mobile phone industry, companies seek to earn money. That's nothing new. But despite that there are some firms that do not focus exclusively or mostly on that.
When Google closed the Nexus brand now three years ago, when it created a new image for its smartphones, looking for a new approach with which to compete with the rest of the industry. Although it does not seem to be his main intention.
We have been three generations of this family and in all of them we have seen a pattern that repeats itself: exclusive functions in the software section. Pixels are Google?s test lab.
Pixel and Pixel XL: Launcher and Smart Assistant
Google Pixel XL: Analysis and user experience
Analysis of Google Pixel XL, the newest Android phone manufactured by Google and ready to face the iPhone.
We cannot ignore that this was the first smartphone to arrive with the Google Assistant preinstalled
Finally, remember that these phones came with unlimited storage in Google Photos in high quality, although for a few years.
Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL: a spectacular portrait mode
A year later, Google launched the second version of its terminals, two smartphones that significantly improved the software section, again focused on photography.
The first change was his own Pixel Launcher, which evolved to a more polished form, with the movement of the search bar to the lower area.
Google Pixel 2 XL: Analysis and user experience
We tested the new Google Android mobile, the Google Pixel 2 XL, in an analysis in which we checked all its features, especially the screen.
In the camera we saw a new portrait mode that did not require the implementation of a double camera. In fact it was one of the best in this section. The integration of Google Lens was also seen for the first time in this model.
Unlimited storage of Google Photos is maintained.
Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL: IA and more camera modes
We reach the end of the family, for the moment. The new Pixel 3 and 3 XL also have exclusive functions, and in this case more than in previous models.
- Smart compose: It will predict what we are going to write in Gmail and fill it in automatically.
- Screen call: allow you to block SPAM calls by transcribing conversations to text in real time.
- Google Duplex: We already knew Duplex and now we know that it comes exclusively to the Pixel 3.
First impressions of Google Pixel 3: alone with the king of Android
And if we enter the camera section we see that there are more news:
- Top shot: The camera shoots before and after we press the button and choose the best photo.
- Photobooth: automatic selection of photos eliminating those in poor quality, to display them in the wireless charging stand.
- SuperZoom: the Pixel 3 will use the involuntary movement of the hands to create a higher resolution image, then allow zooming minimizing the loss of quality.
- People tracking: We can perform an automatic framing when the system detects that there is a person on the scene.
And after the tests, to Android
All this becomes more relevant when we see that most of these functions end up coming to Android, or to the version of Android distributed by Google, not to AOSP.
An example is the unlimited storage in Google Photos in high quality, something that Android One now has.
As well Google Lens now it is massive and also the integration of to It is now vital in the mobile system.
Google knows that its way of making money is not through the Pixel, but the Android users who buy other brands, so it takes that software to the mobile phones of the competition, which is really not such.
Is it possible that in the future Google would prefer to keep all the innovations it develops? It is unlikely since that would imply a competition that the Pichai firm now does not want, but in the very long term we could see changes, perhaps slight, in this regard.