The Japanese telecommunications company NTT DoCoMo It has launched today what is the lightest tablet so far: 249 grams It's called Tab Socks UL N-08D and to give you an approximate idea, the Nexus 7 weighs 340 grams and the Kindle Touch (which is only an ebook) weighs 213. This has been achieved through a type of carbon fiber of those used for airplanes. So for 30 grams more than an ebook reader we can take a tablet with all these benefits:
- Qualcomm Snapdrog MSM8960 dual-core 1.5 GHz processor
- 7 »LCD with 1280 x 800 resolution
- 8 megapixel rear camera and 2 front
- 3100mAh battery
- 7.9 mm thick
- Adreno 225 GPU
- 1 GB of RAM
- 16GB of flash memory, expandable with up to 32 with MicroSD / SDHC
- Bluetooth, wifi and GPS
- Possibility to connect to LTE networks
- Ice Cream Sandwich
In a comparison with the Nexus its most direct competitor we have to
- Battery: wins the Nexus with 4325 mAh
- Screen: tie in size and resolution, although the Nexus with IPS will surely look better
- Camera: Win the Stockings, since it has a rear camera (without entering into discussions of its usefulness)
- Memory and network: here we remember what is considered by many a failure of the Nexus and is the lack of microSD and possibility of mobile connection
- Android: of course Nexus is ahead with Jelly Bean and direct from Google.
Although the model is available only in Japan, at least for now (although there are no great expectations that it reaches us), this tablet makes us question the importance of weight (validate the redundancy). How far are we willing to sacrifice to reduce weight?
As I mentioned in another article the battle for the weight and thickness of the tablets is very present in the minds of the manufacturers. The question is: is the hardware improved so that the devices are getting smaller, or are we wasting the opportunity to have better devices to make them more "portable"? From what point can we consider that a terminal is too heavy?
The miniaturization of components in technology It is something that has always accompanied her, to which many other conditions not previously contemplated, such as resistance or design, are added, and all these improvements have to be accompanied and not advance alone. Without a doubt, we have lived frantic years in the improvement of hardware in smartphones, but we have many more