The Pixel 3A XL is a good cell phone with an excellent camera that is worth considering, although, after seeing all its aspects and features, it stays a little behind the(mainly for its design) and until which offers practically the same at a better price.
The OnePlus 6T (and surely the) It has an elegant design that exceeds that of the Pixel 3A XL and although its cameras do not reach exactly the same level, grouping all the features and experience that it offers I consider it worth spending US $ 70 ms for the OnePlus.
It is possible that thewhich currently costs $ 749 lower price in the coming months to become a better option, since that cell phone is waterproof, it can be charged wirelessly and has a secondary wide angle lens on the back that is a pleasure to use.
On the other hand, I consider that the Pixel 3A is a more outstanding cell phone than the 3A XL because it has exactly the same performance, the same excellent camera and the same design, but its low price of US $ 399 puts it in a better position, because it does not There is a lot of competition there.
Pixel 3A XL: Features and Specifications
- Display: 6 inches (OLED)
- Resolution: 2,160×1,080 pixels
- Pixel Density: 402 dpi
- Operating System: Android Pie
- Processor: 64-bit Snapdragon 670 (2GHz + 1.7GHz)
- RAM: 4GB
- Storage: 64GB
- Battery: 3,700mAh
- Rear cameras: 12.2 megapixels with f / 1.8 aperture and optical image stabilization
- Slow motion video recording: 240fps HD, 120fps in Full HD, 60fps in 4K
- Front camera: 8 megapixels (regular 84 degrees with f / 2.2 aperture
- Other features: Your body detects the pressure to activate Google Assistant, it has function for Google Assistant to answer your calls, it has eSIM for Project Fi.
- Size: 160.1×76.1×8.2mm
- Weight: 167 grams
Pixel 3A XL: Price and availability
The Pixel 3A XL is priced at US $ 479 and is available not only through the Google store, but also through Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint and U.S. Cellular The unlocked Pixel 3A XL is also compatible with AT&T and possibly other GSM operators in the United States that do not sell the cell phone directly.
The Pixel 3A XL is available in purple, black and white, some of these models have a power button of a different color, except black. It is worth bearing in mind that the colors may vary a little depending on the market where you decide to buy Google's cell phone.
You can also buy the Pixel 3A XL in Spain for 479 euros in the Google store. It is not yet known whether the Pixel 3A XL can be purchased officially in Mexico, Colombia or other countries.
Differences of the Pixel 3A XL with the Pixel 3A
- Ms large: 6 inches vs. 5l6 inch
- Lower pixel density: 402ppp vs. 441ppp
- Biggest battery: 3,700mAh vs. 3,000mAh
- Lightweight: 167 grams vs. 147 grams
- Most expensive: US $ 479 vs. $ 399
Changes against the Pixel 3 XL
- More cheap: US $ 579 vs. US $ 799 (at the time of this analysis)
- Smaller: 6 inches vs. 6.3 inches
- Less powerful: Snapdragon 670 vs. processor. Snapdragon 845
- Ms battery: 3,700mAh vs. 3,430mAh
- With traditional headphone jack
- One less front camera: It only has one with minor modifications (more visual field than the main one and a slightly lower aperture)
- Without the horrible eyebrow, notch or notch
- It is not waterproof (only splash)
- Unable to charge wirelessly
- The bezels are larger, especially the lower bezel
- It has no 128GB storage option, only 64GB
- They do not come with headphones
- Since its launch it is sold in more places
- The photos and videos stored in Google Photos (in the cloud) is no longer free if you want original quality, but it is free if you use the "high quality", just as it has offered for all kinds of Android phones and even iPhone.
Pixel 3A XL: Camera like the Pixel 3 XL
The Pixel 3A XL has exactly the same camera as the other third-generation Pixel devices and the results it offers are as reliable as you would expect.
In my tests, the Pixel 3A XL managed to capture photos very quickly, almost without blurring despite capturing objects with a little movement and great detail and good colors.
Even the Pixel 3A XL integrates the Night Sight mode that also allows you to get amazing photos in low light situations. In my tests, the Pixel 3A fulfilled what was expected by capturing photos very quickly, almost without blurring despite capturing objects with a little movement and great detail and good colors.
The Pixel 3A XL even integrates Night Sight mode, which allows you to get amazing photos in low light situations. The only difference I noticed is that to take photos with a blurred background (in portrait mode) the viewfinder is much closer than what the other Pixel 3 offers, making it often necessary to move a few steps back than usual to take Photos.
Sometimes, it seemed to me that this makes the blurry background less natural than on other occasions with the Pixel 3 or with other cell phones such as the Galaxy S10 Plus because the background is much more divided than the subject.
Also, in portrait mode there are times when the results lose a little more detail than with the Pixel 3 XL and even the file size is smaller.
One of the novelties of the cameras is the time-lapse mode, which also comes through an update to the other Pixel.
The function allows you to record video at different intervals (for example, condensing 50 seconds of recording in 10 seconds of playback). I really liked that there is a clear indication of those intervals that you are recording and you have the possibility to modify the duration.
In general, the videos had good stabilization, good detail and adequate colors.
- Regular photos
- Portrait: Photos with blurred background
- Night Sight: Night vision to take better photos in low light situations
- Photo Sphere: Capture photos in 180 or up to 360 degrees.
- Photobooth: Automatically capture photos when it detects you are smiling, or even when it detects that two people are kissing.
- Top Shot: Google's artificial intelligence chooses what it considers to be the best photo
- Super Res Zoom: Artificial intelligence tries to improve photos with digital zoom
- Slow motion
- Lapse of time
- Playground: Augmented Reality Effects
- Google Lens: Identifications of places and images with Google smart
The Pixel 3A XL offers an identical performance to the Pixel 3A. This means that the performance is good, whether you just want to navigate the interface, if you open multiple apps quickly or if you use it to play video games.
However, since it does not have the Snapdragon 845 processor that we see in the Pixel 3 XL or the OnePlus 6T, it is notable that some animations take a little longer or that the apps need at least a second longer to load. This is even more remarkable compared to cell phones like the Galaxy S10 Plus that has a Snapdragon 855.
Yes, it is a little more fluid than the Moto G7 Plus, but still falls below the OnePlus 6T and even the OnePlus 5T.
In general, the performance is sufficient for most, but as Google's flagship phones have become slower than normal over time, I'm worried about how the Pixel 3A's performance will be long term.
The Pixel 3A XL managed to last a whole day with a single charge and, in our tests, managed to play a 720p video continuously for 19 hours.
In comparison, the Pixel 3A achieved 16 hours and 15 minutes; the Pixel 3 XL, 16 hours and 39 minutes and the Moto G7 Plus, 17 hours and two minutes.
In our battery tests consisting of the reproduction of a 720p video continuously and on a Wi-Fi network, the Pixel 3A managed to last 16 hours and 15 minutes.
Duration in test (hours: minutes)
Android Pie and Google Maps AR
The Pixel 3A XL runs Android Pie with a practically pure Android interface, just like the other Pixel and Google promises that this will be one of the first cell phones that will be updated to Android Q in the third quarter of this year.
However, Google also releases a new function with these Pixel 3A phones, just as Google has done in each of its phones.
On this occasion, the Pixel 3A are the first cell phones that receive the navigation of Google Maps in augmented reality (known as Google Maps AR) in beta version and the other Pixel will also begin to receive an update that allows this function.
Google Maps AR worked well to help me better identify where to go, but it also seemed a bit awkward to have to upload the cell phone in a completely vertical way (as if you were taking a photo) to enjoy this function, otherwise it is deactivated . During my tests, I noticed that many people thought I was taking a picture of them.
Google deactivates this function when it detects that you are walking. According to the company, this is to offer security and help people not get distracted while walking.
Design: A Pixel 3 XL without notch?
Google could have won the prize of the eyebrow or notch uglier jams integrated into a phone when it launched the Pixel 3 XL. The good news is that the Pixel 3A XL no longer has that component, but it maintains its main attraction: the camera.
It is worth clarifying that this does not mean that the Pixel 3A XL is a nicer cell phone than the Pixel 3 XL, as Google continues to show that its strength is to design the back of the cell phone and not the front. However, it is clear that this is something very positive for those who simply do not want to be fashionable notch or eyebrows (which, by the way, is already happening).
I even consider that the Moto G7 and Moto G7 Plus, which cost up to US $ 180 less, have a more elegant and attractive design.
On the other hand, if you look back to the Pixel 3A XL, you see that it is practically the same as the Pixel 3 XL, with that rear window that is located at the top to reflect more than the rest of the body. The rest of the body is soft and does not attract fingerprints so much.