Chromecast It is a very useful device to make our television smart, so now we will learn to Play VLC Media Player videos through Google?s popular HDMI dongle.
While a Chromecast has the ability to access the Internet to play streaming content, sometimes we simply want to use it to send videos or music to a TV from your mobile or computer using the local WiFi network.
VLC Media Player, or simply VLC, is a player that opens almost any format, works well and is available on many platforms, so it is a good option to send the content that we have saved to a Chromecast.
First of all, you have to configure your Chromecast, check that it receives electrical power and that the TV is in the channel of the HDMI port where you have connected it. And confirm that both the Chromecast and the equipment with which you are going to broadcast the content are connected to the same WiFi network.
VLC for mobile or tablet
VLC is available on Android and iOS, offering a very easy to use Chromecast integration. First of all, we must download the app from the official store of our operating system:
- Download VLC Media Player for Android
- Download VLC Media Player for iPhone / iPad
- Once installed, when opening the app we must give it the appropriate permissions. VLC works very similarly on iOS and Android, for example, in this last system asks us to access the archives Of the device:
- If we wish, the program Search the videos and music available on your mobile or tablet, so that they appear in the interface and it is easier to start playback:
- Once the configuration is finished, you have to press the Chromecast icon which appears in the upper right area of ??VLC Media Player. In order for the symbol to come out, Chromecast must receive power and be connected to the same WiFi network as the mobile or tablet:
- The Chromecast icon, also called Google Cast, is common to all apps compatible with the device, here you can see it bigger:
- We must change the TV to the Chromecast channel, being aware that VLC does not show any screen on the TV when connected, only a warning in the application itself that indicates "Connected to the viewer":
- Now we have to start playing the video, only then does Chromecast change the image and display the content:
- On the smartphone or tablet we will have the playback controls using the VLC itself:
Chromecast support in VLC is not as polished as in other applications, but it perfectly fulfills its function of playing the content on the TV, so it is a useful option to watch videos on the big screen.
VLC for a computer
If we use VLC from a computer, either portable or desktopIt is also easy to play the contents on a TV with Chromecast. First of all we have to install the appropriate version of the program for our operating system:
- Download VLC Media Player for Windows
- Download VLC Media Player for Mac
- In the top menu we look for the option of "Reproduction", and open the drop-down menu:
- In the case of Windows, a message from firewall Ask us if we want to give VLC access to the network, something you need to locate Chromecast. We will click on "Allow access":
- We return to the "Reproduction" menu, let's go to "Processor" and the Chromecast will appear with the name we have given him. For example, the name of the room where the TV is, which is the one recommended in the configuration:
- It is now possible for the Windows firewall to ask us for authorization again, and in the TV you see the Chromecast symbol:
- Depending on the format of the video, a notice will indicate that it is going to consume a lot of energy for conversion, if we have a laptop it is best to plug it in, and then click on "To accept":
- After this, the video will already be shown on the TV through Chromecast, and we can control it thanks to the PC or Mac.
In some cases we will suffer incompatibilities with the formatsFor example, VLC Media Player is capable of playing smoothly in 4K, but only Chromecast Ultra is compatible, not the standard model.
In these cases, we will see a black screen, without any warning, so it is advisable to try another video to verify that the streaming in s works.
Following these steps it is very easy to send videos from VLC to Chromecast, although we must bear in mind that many other apps offer compatibility with the Google HDMI dongle, so it also works with Netflix or HBO streaming services.
8 multiplayer games for Chromecast
What do you think of this system? Get more out of your Chromecast now that you know how to play any video directly from VLC?