A few days ago I found myself in need of reinstall Mac OS X, later called OS X and now macOS, on a new hard drive for my 2012 MacBook Pro, so I started looking for installation discs. What happened to me? Although it seems strange, I only had those of my first MacBook, which did not help me to reinstall a very basic version of the operating system.
Advantages of having an Apple brand computer? Among them is the ability to install the software online, without using any physical disk. In my MacBook Pro I had the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard version installed, which worked great for me: but, after receiving a Kingston SSD hard drive, the 480GB UV400, I saw the opportunity to give a boost to the performance of my dear portable.
This trick can also be useful when you have tried everything and your MacBook still does not turn on.
Install hard drive
The hard drive installation On a MacBook Pro, at least with the 2010 generation, it is extremely easy:
- You have to turn off the computer and unplug it from the electrical power.
- Unscrew the back cover of the Mac, using a screwdriver with a special head. You can buy a kit at a hardware store or department stores. It is important to be careful and avoid wearing the screw head, so the tool must be adequate.
- Locate the hard drive, which should be next to the battery, and remove the screws that secure it to the internal structure. If necessary, lift the unit and remove the four side screws. Undock the cable with SATA interface of the hard drive and connect the new drive, in my case the Kingston UV400.
- Finally the storage disk is re-attached to its site, the necessary screwed, we turn the MacBook and prepare to begin the process of installing the software.
With the brand new SSD in the guts of my laptop, the crucial moment comes to turn it on and start the Mac OS X installation. After pressing on the power button, you must press and hold at the same time CMD and R keys until you see how the process of "recovery via the Internet" starts: the Apple logo and a progress bar should appear.
Mac OS X installation (later OS X and now macOS)
What is the most curious thing about installation process? It is not necessary to re-enter the Wi-Fi network keys that are commonly used, and even less if one connects to the Network via ethernet cable. The first key screen is the one titled "OS X Utilities", in which you first have to enter the section "Disk Utility"in order to create the appropriate partitions on the new hard drive and format them with an OS X Plus file system (with registration).
- It is advisable to have at least two partitions, one being the main one, in which to install the operating system; and another at least another secondary in which to store important content.
- If in the future there were problems with the computer, and it was necessary to reinstall OS X, only the main unit will have to be formatted, and not those corresponding to other partitions of the hard disk. Thus, music, documents, photos, and other content will be safe.
- My Kingston UV400 I have divided into three units: one of 250GB, another of 109GB and another more than 119GB.
Once the hard drive is well partitioned, including a GUID partition map, and the appropriate format has been given to each partition, it is necessary to return to the "OS X Utilities" screen and click on "Reinstall OS X". The moment of the truth has come.
Reinstall Mac OS X My MacBook Pro has brought one surprise after another, all of them positive, because on the installation screen I was told that the operating system to be installed will be the version OS X El Capitan: Is it because you go back and I was suggesting the download of this version? In any case, the only thing that could happen is that the same version will be installed when you buy your Mac or the last one you updated.
Here are some steps that will take place throughout the process, based on my personal experience:
- My MacBook Pro has made a first check, to ensure that the hardware was compatible with what was then the last version of macOS. Everything has been OK.
- Then you have to select partition main in which to install the new software.
- A basic requirement is to be log in to the App Store. If you don't remember your username or password, try to recover them from a mobile phone or other computer.
- After a successful login in the App Store, the screen of online download of the operating system, It takes more or less time depending on the download speed associated with your ADSL or Fiber Optic line. It is important not to lose Internet connection, so try not to collapse the Network with another device.
- Once the download of OS X El Capitan, the installation and commissioning of the operating system will be carried out and the Mac will be started for the first time.
It turns out to be very simple reinstall macOS on an Apple computer, be it an iMac, MacBook or MacBook Pro. In this article I have exposed the data based on my own experience, using my 2012 MacBook Pro and a Kingston SSD hard drive model UV400.
In case you wonder, after three days using the new storage unit, I have not observed any incompatibility at the hardware level, and the computer works correctly, without unusual heating and with a autonomous battery That is exceeding my expectations: considering that I am using the original battery, after an hour and a half writing articles with the screen brightness at 70%, the battery capacity indicator has not reached half.
. Install Mac OS X without disks (t) Mac (t) MacBook (t) Apple (t) mac