The Sony PlayStation 4 is one of the most powerful game consoles of the current generation. Over the years, Sony has brought to light the PS4 Slim variant, and the much more powerful version of PS4 Pro, which has ensured that the position of the PS4 in the gaming consoles market is maintained solid. While the PS4 is a great machine, its user interface with its complicated mens hides some of the excellent production options found below. Most people prefer to use the system as it is, without knowing how to make the most of the PS4 and further improve their overall gaming experience. Well, that's where we come in. Here are 15 great tips and tricks for PS4 that will definitely be useful. Improve your PlayStation 4 experience:
1. Use your Smartphone as a keyboard for PS4
Entering text on the PS4 can be rather a nuisance, whether you are using normal buttons or writing with motion control. You won't love it if you could type using the on-screen keyboard of your smart phone? Well, thanks to the PlayStation application for your smart phones, you can do it. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Go to the menu of configuration of its PlayStation and touch "PlayStation application connection settings" . After that, tap on "Add device" .
- Here, you will be presented with a registration code . Write down that code somewhere, as we will use it later.
- Download the PlayStation application for your iOS or Android device and login with your PlayStation account. Make sure it is the same account that you started on PS4.
- Once you have successfully logged in, touch the option "Connect to PS4" in the bottom bar.
- Tap on the option "Second screen" . A list of PS4 machines that have logged in with their PlayStation ID will appear. Tap on the PS4 you want to control.
- Enter the registration code which you obtained from your PS4 previously in the input box provided, and touch "To register" . Once you have successfully registered, connect to your PS4.
- You will now be presented with a simple navigation menu, which represents the touch panel, and has buttons for other navigation related tasks. Now, on PS4, whenever you have to enter text, open the application on your mobile phone and tap the keyboard icon on top. You will be presented with a text entry box where you can type with the help of your on-screen keyboard as you normally do.
2. Preload your purchased games
Who likes to wait, right? So there is an amazing game for the PS4 that you just pre-ordered and you can't wait to play it. But first you have to download tons of game data, and fortunately for you, you don't have to wait to download it. The PlayStation Store allows the user download the pre-ordered game data files 4 days before the actual release, only from the PlayStation Store. Yes, you cannot play the game until it has been released, but again, once you are, you will not have to wait.
How to download
3. Improve the DualShock 4 controller battery
Everyone mostly uses their DualShock 4 controller in wireless mode. Now, what does a user of a wireless device most want? Reserve battery! Has it ever happened to you that you are absorbed in a game session and suddenly a notification appears saying that your controller's battery is low? Well, you can save some juice from your controller dimming the controller light, following the steps below.
- Open the menu of PlayStation configuration and go to the option "Dispositives" . Once there, open the option "Drivers" .
- Now go to the option "Brightness of the light bar DUALSHOCK 4" and tap to see the side menu to select the light profile. You can choose between Bright, Medium and Dim . Select your preferred option from here.
- In addition, you have probably noticed that your DualShock 4 controller has a built-in speaker also for various sounds. It may happen that you are surprised by the sound that comes from there, or that you simply want to silence it completely. Well, anyway, you can alter controller speaker volume . Just go to the option "Volume control (Speaker for Controller)" in the same menu and change the volume to fit your tastes.
4. Modify the look of your PS4 with themes
Aren't you bored of the blue panel at the bottom of your PS4? Or maybe the icons seem simple to you? Well, do not worry, for being a machine as powerful as the PS4, it is also quite customizable. May change the appearance of the interface With the help of themes. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Open the menu of PlayStation configuration and go to "Themes" . Once there, open the option "Select theme" .
- From here, you can select the theme of your choice . Also, if you don't like any theme that comes your way, you can buy themes from the PlayStation Store.
If you want to change the way PS4 hardware looks, you should take a look at our list of the best PS4 masks.
5. Get PS Plus games without downloading them
The PlayStation Plus membership for PS4 offers many benefits to its members compared to normal PS4 users. Online multiplayer, exclusive discounts, saved online games and access to betas are some of the added features that PS Plus offers its members. Among all these features, there is another feature that PS Plus users really like, and that is that every month there is a complete game available for free for PS Plus users. Now, you can make use of this game for free only when you download it during that specific month, otherwise, the offer will have disappeared. But what if you wanted to be the owner of the game, but at the time of offering it, did you run out of your data package? Well you can take advantage of the game without even downloading it .
To do so, at the option of the game, simply touch "Add to Library" And voila, be the owner of the game. Now you can download it whenever you want, even after months of the offer period. Nifty, isn't it?
6. Take faster screenshots
The Share button on your DualShock 4 can be used to take screenshots and record your game with the ease of a single button. By default, if you press and hold the Share button, you can take a screenshot that will be saved on your PS4. But it won't be better change it to one touch, saving you a few seconds of your valuable gaming experience? Well, you can actually do it by following the steps below:
- Touch the SHARE button on your DualShock controller to reveal the Share menu. Select option "Sharing and Broadcast Settings" from there. Now, go to the option "SHARE control button type" .
- Once there, you will be presented with options to select if the Standard type or Easy screen capture type. Simply select the type of Easy Screen Capture to use a single press of the SHARE button to click on the screenshots.
7. Do your best in the PS4 sleep mode
Your PS4 comes with a standby mode, or as Sony likes to call it – Sleep mode. In this mode, the system is basically in standby mode and is designed to operate with lower energy consumption . Even so, you can modify this mode to load your controllers or update your games using less energy. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Go to the menu of PlayStation configuration and select the option "Energy Saving Settings" . Once there, select "Set available functions in sleep mode".
- Now you can modify various aspects of the sleep mode of the PS4. You can set the option "Supply power to USB ports" for load your drivers while the system is on hold . In addition, you can make the "PS4 Stay connected to the Internet", for update background games . Also, if you have the PlayStation application on your smart phone, you can use it to Activate the PS4 selecting the option "Activate PS4 activation from the network" . Finally, there is the option of " Keep the application suspended ", which basically hibernate the game in its current mode and puts the PS4 in sleep mode. Once you turn on the PS4 and start the game, it will resume only from the previous state, instead of restarting by default.
8. Alternative ways to turn on the PS4
While anyone can turn on the PS4 by pressing the power button on their PS4, the PS4 also comes with alternative methods to turn on the device. In case your DualShock 4 controller has been paired with the system in the past, you can turn on the PS4 simply by touching the PS button on the Dualshock 4 controller to activate the PS4.
Alternatively, if your TV is compatible with the HDMI device link, you can activate your respective option on the PS4 to turn on the device automatically every time you turn on your TV . To do so, simply go to the PlayStation configuration and go to "System" . From there, check the box next to "Enable HDMI device link" .
9. Livestream Gamplay videos in real time
Recording and uploading your online game videos is a way to share your achievements, but wouldn't it be better if you could do it in real time? Well, thanks to the PS4 Broadcast option, you can do it. The PlayStation has built-in support for Twitch, YouTube and Dailymotion. To play the game live in real time from your PS4, follow the steps below:
- Press the SHARE button on your controller to open the Share menu. From there, select the option "Broadcast Gameplay" . You will be presented with a list of live streaming services to choose. Select the one that suits you best.
- Once selected, you will be asked to enter your credentials and log in. From then on, I could Directly transmit your game in real time . You can even connect a microphone to your PS4 or DualShock 4 and make live comments as well.
10. Direct all audio to the controller's audio port
Obviously, you must take into account the fact that your DualShock 4 is equipped with a 3.5 mm jack to connect headphones / earphones directly to the controller. While this sounds good, by default, you can only direct chat audio to headphones connected to this audio port, effectively converting it into a chat headset only. In case you want to modify this and direct all audio to that port, you can do so by following the steps below:
- Go to the PlayStation configuration and open the option "Dispositives" . Once there, select the option "Audio devices" .
- Now, go to the option "Headphone output" . By default, it will be set to "Audio Chat" . Touch it and select "All audio" in the sidebar selection menu.
11. Use voice commands on PS4
Like Microsoft Xbox One Kinect, the PS4 can also accept voice commands. However, unlike the Xbox One that requires a Kinect to use voice commands, you can control your PS4 with your voice simply by connecting a headset / microphone with a microphone to the DualShock 4 controller. To use voice commands, do the next:
- Go to the page of PlayStation configuration and go to the option "System" . Once there, select the "Voice operation settings".
- You can now change the settings related to voice commands. Make sure you have the box checked next to "Operate PS4 with voice" . After that, you can pass the commands to the PS4 using your voice. Just say "PlayStation" followed by his command to control the PS4. You can use commands such as the home screen, take a screenshot, open Netflix, etc.
12. Transfer saved game data to a USB drive or cloud
In general, we prefer to buy the consoles that our friends buy, so multiplayer game with friends is always an option (thanks, Sony, for blocking multiplatform games). But what if you go to a friend's place to play in the local multiplayer system, but you would like to use your saved files to continue the story in cooperative mode, or simply use the items you unlocked in your system. Either way, you will need your saved files for that. To take your saved files wherever you go, you can save them to a USB stick or save them to a storage in the cloud . To do this, follow the steps below:
Note : Using the cloud storage option to save files on the PS4 requires the PS Plus membership.
- Open PlayStation settings and go to the option "Administration of saved application data" .
- From here, you have options to manage your data stored in the system storage, online storage or USB storage. To transfer the data, select the option "Data saved in system storage", and then select "Copy to USB storage device".
- And that is. To transfer these saved files to another PS4, simply connect the same USB to that system, follow the steps above and select "Data saved on a USB storage device" and then transfer it to the system by selecting the option "Copy to system storage" .
13. Set your status as offline
Are you one of those players who are upset by friends or online companions who constantly send messages to you while trying to enjoy your game? Well, you can't stop them completely, but you can appear offline so your friends don't send you messages in the first place. To do this, follow the steps below:
- In the home screen the PS4, go to the option "Profile" .
- Once in this option, click on the option "Set online status" . Appear a drop down option . From there, select the option "Appear offline" .
- And that's it, now appear offline for all friends added on PlayStation Network. Even so, they will have received a notification when you initially logged in. If you also want to get rid of that, just press the OPTIONS button on your DualShock 4 controller at the time of logging in and select "Login and appear offline" ", And you will be logged into your system as "offline" from the start.
14. Use Remote Play on PC / Mac
You will not like it take your gaming experience with you wherever you go ? Well, actually, you can. You can play remotely on your PS4 by connecting it to your PC or Mac and then play it with the help of a DualShock 4 controller connected to it. To do this, need the application PS4 Remote Play for Windows and macOS you can download from here.
Then you can go to PlayStation Settings and configure remote playback from option Remote Playback Connection Settings . To know the detailed steps, you can follow our detailed guide here.
15. Boost mode for PS4 Pro
While the PS4 and PS4 Slim were very powerful consoles, the PS4 Pro brought an overclocked processor and a much more powerful GPU to the table, allowing for an improved gaming experience. All games released after the launch of PS4 Pro have been designed to make greater use of the central power of the PS4 Pro. But what about games that were designed with PS4 in mind? Well, the PS4 Pro comes with a Boost mode to optimize older games to work better with the PS4 Pro, which translates into top results and a better overall gaming experience .
To enable Boost Mode, go to the PlayStation Settings, navigate to "System" and select "Boost mode" to enable / disable it.
See also: 15 best exclusive games for PS4 you must play
Some great tricks for PS4 that you should use
Therefore, these are some of the PS4 tricks that we believe may be useful for you. The Sony PlayStation 4 is a beast of a gaming machine, and with the amount of exclusive titles that come to this platform, it is definitely here to stay. Well, that was all from our side, give these PlayStation tricks a chance and let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.