There are manycomputer types according to their characteristics, benefits, options of use, power, etc. We explain thecomputer types that exist or have existed.
You may be interested in reading our article of SUPER COMPUTERS
Types of computers today
Desktop They are very common. They are known in many cases as desktop, desktop or PC. These devices are used with frequencies in homes. They include mouse, monitor, keyboard and a container where each of the internal components are located. They are designed primarily for daily use applications.
Laptops In English his name is laptop and in some cases notebooks, because they resemble notebooks a bit. They are models with a flat screen, keyboard, memory, processor and device. They are lightweight and designed for users who move with frequencies. Its functions are the same as those of a desktop computer, but they are more expensive because of its size that is compact and small.
Work stations They are computers that have very large monitors, which because of this condition can present graphics in the highest quality, which is why they have a fairly powerful processor to operate with complex data, as well as hard drives that store large amounts of information. They are ideal for engineers, mathematicians or those who develop software.
Servers They are computers that have been optimized to provide their services to other computers, although all through a network. In most cases they will have powerful processors and a huge internal memory to store the information. They stay on all day.
Supercomputers The use of numerical calculations by quantities in periods of time that are very short are used more than anything. Supercomputers stand out for being the most expensive and most available technology. In addition to the above, they are equipment used only by those who are dedicated to Applications very specialized as meteorological forecasts, scientific research, analysis of geological data, among other kinds of tasks.
Handheld computers In certain cases they are called as PDA or Personal Digital Assistant and they are very compact computers that don't have a keyboard, but it's a touch screen. They were designed to have a calendar, electronic agenda, contact list, internet, text documents, reminders, etc. They were replaced by smartphones.
Features according to the type of computer
The different computer types that can be described do not keep many similar characteristics among themselves, although according to the subtypes that may arise, there are certain relationships to establish.
- Desktop Designed to perform daily tasks and provide good power for it at a low price.
- Laptops They are of a higher cost than desktop computers, but their main feature is portability, that is, they can be taken wherever you want.
- Netbooks They are more portable than a laptop or laptop, but being so small they are not very powerful and lost popularity with the arrival of tablets.
- Handheld computers A smartphone can do the same and much more today.
- Work stations Computers ideal for demanding jobs, but for a single person, therefore do not reach the degree of complexity of other types of computers.
- Servers They are used to store websites and ensure a constant connection to them goes online. There are also for intranets.
- Mainframes They are used for business in a local environment and take up a lot of space, even a room.
- Minicomputers Similar to a server, but with less power.
- Supercomputers They are very expensive and highly complex. They are used for very specialized applications.
Applications of each type of computer
The desktop computers they are ideal for the daily work of the bulk of people in the home; the laptops to facilitate transport or mobilize with a good performance computer; the netbooks They are very light, but lose power, just as tablets have replaced them; the handheld computers they were replaced with smartphones; the work stations They are perfect for people who need to complete specialized tasks; the servers and minicomputers enable connections with other computers; the mainframes they serve to implement financial, statistical and similar business applications; the supercomputers for specialized tasks of great power or specificity such as meteorological forecasts, scientific research, etc.