AFlash memory It is characterized by writing and reading in multiple memory positions. They are also known for their portability and capacity for data storage. It is calledpen drive.
You may be interested in reading about others TYPES OF MEMORIES
What is a flash memory?
A Flash memory It allows writing and reading in multiple positions of the memory during the same operation, that is why the flash technology, through electrical impulses, it achieves considerably higher operating speeds compared to the original EEPROM. With the aim of clarifying, it is the technology used for USB sticks.
Finally one Flash memory It is a device that has the shape of a card and is used for storage of large amounts of data, but with a reduced space (in physical), where reading and writing is enabled for multiple memory positions during the same operation.
Types of flash memories
There have been several developments and phases for flash memories, to the extent that they have been optimized and improved to meet the needs of each time.
- CompactFlash or CF Card It is almost certainly the format that has spread the most among all removable memories. They have been modified for recent years by models that are more compact, mainly because they are very bulky and heavy.
- Smart media In comparison they are smaller than the CFs and their approximate shape is of a miniature floppy disk. You do not have a controller and they are simply an EEPROMM chip.
- XD Picture Card They replaced the SmartMedia for being psychos. They are ultracompact and their size is that of a stamp.
- Sony Memory Stick (MS) It is a kind of flash memory of 1999 that is used for the range of cameras of this brand. In principle, its maximum capacity was 128 MB.
- Secure Digital (SD) and Multimedia Card (MMC) They are two types of flash memory identical at first sight. The difference is that the SD has an encryption principle to store encrypted information.
- IBM Microdrive It is not considered as a flash memory, but it is a close cousin who is actually a HDD in miniature.
USB flash drives It is not a category that exists as such at the technical level, but they are the typical memories that can be seen today (in 2018) for mass storage of easy transport files.
Flash memory capacity
The flash memory capacity It has varied significantly over the years, so a few decades ago its capacity was reduced to even a few MB. Nowadays (2019) it is common to find USB flash drives from 2 GB to 256 GB. The difference in the modern era is the speed with which data is transferred, because storage capacity is no longer a limitation.
Flash memory features
- Store without using energy Of course, at the time of carrying out and confirming the operation of transferring the files, energy is required, but later the flash memory will not have to be connected to preserve the data or need any power supply.
- Uniform Access Speed Compared to conventional hard drives, it is easy to find several zones at the same time in the device.
- Greater number of instructions A flash memory can do it without inconvenience for both inputs and outputs.
- Shock resistance There are no mechanical elements located inside, which is why blows are not a threat to their proper functioning, of course, to a fair extent.
- Portability They are smaller and smaller, so they can be transported without problems.
- Less noise It does not have moving elements, so in terms of noise it is imperceptible.
- Consume less A key fact for laptops or laptops.
Advantages of a flash memory
- Portability – It can be worn in a key ring, pocket and even around the neck. They carry a lot of information and barely take up space.
- Consumption Connecting them to a laptop or a laptop is not a problem for consumption, it is actually minimal.
- Noise It is non-existent unlike conventional discs.
- Without energy You don't need it to work.
- No moving parts It is a guarantee of a lesser danger of losing the stored information.
- Against the blows There are no mechanical elements or removable objects, so the blows will not affect its operation (to a fair extent).
- Pressure or temperature In general terms, however extreme the changes in these variables may be, the flash memory will not be affected.
- Durability In theory the storage lasts about 10 years and you can write a million times on it.
- Boot from USB It has spread a lot on new computers.
- USB connectors It occupies less space than a disk reader or of course a disk drive.
Differences between Flash Memory and RAM
Related Article:WHAT IS A RAM MEMORY
A Flash memory It can be erased in a short time through electric means. It is also a type of NVM that is perfect for computers that are battery operated, that are handheld and even as a replacement for the hard drive.
On the other hand the RAM refers to a random access memory which is common among computers and is sometimes used as a synonym for main memory. It is very fast, but it requires a lot of energy to work and also to keep the data stored. Finally, it is linked to the types of volatile memory, where the information will be lost immediately when the computer is turned off.