The Xbox One X is the most powerful console. It allows you to play a resolution of 4K at 60 frames per second and takes up less space than previous models. It is a wonder. However, it is not perfect. Since it was launched in 2017, some errors persist. Some of the main problems of Xbox One X are trivial, others can become more serious. Fortunately, most are solved with simple steps. Here are some of the most frequent Xbox One X problems and their solutions. But if you need help with the traditional Xbox, you can also check our guide.
Get in touch with Microsoft
|Phone||1-800-4-MYXBOX (Monday to Friday between 9 AM and 5 PM PT)|
Games are not displayed in 4K or HDR
If you cannot enjoy games in 4K, it is likely that the problem is in the TV settings. On some occasions, it could be something as simple as the title does not support 4K or some settings limit the resolution in favor of other functions.
We created a guide to take full advantage of 4K and HDR on your Xbox One X, but these are the basic concepts:
- Be sure to use a “high speed” HDMI cable. The Xbox One is useful, although there are also convenient parts.
- The HDMI port of the TV must support HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2. They are the only ports available for 4K and HDR content. If you use an HDMI switch or an AV receiver, you must have both settings. This allows you to connect several consoles on one or two ports.
The XBox One X suddenly turns off
It is the worst thing that can happen to your Xbox One X. You are in the middle of a game of PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, just a few seconds from a "chicken dinner", when suddenly your console turns off completely. The screen turns black and you may not be able to turn on the console again.
In some cases, the console may be damaged. In these cases, the only option is to send it to Microsoft to request a replacement or repair. To do this, use the registration tool and enter the serial number. It is located completely to the right, on the back of the Xbox One X and is labeled “SN”.
- Before taking this drastic measure, you can check the power cable. Some users who turned off the console spontaneously solved the problem by changing the official cable to a third party. Because the Xbox One X uses an internal power supply, the basic Nyko AC cable sold on GameStop is compatible with this console (and also with the PlayStation 4). Unlike the original Xbox One, if the power supply is the one that fails, you cannot replace it.
- If you had the Xbox One S, other users also reported that they succeeded with the power cord of that console. It is identical to what is included in the Xbox One X.
Does not automatically sign in to Xbox Live
If you use power save mode instead of "instant on," occasionally turn on your console and notice that it is not connected to Xbox Live. In some cases, this is due to a problem with Microsoft. You simply have to enter your credentials manually to reconnect.
This problem is often caused because the console has a seemingly short memory: basically forget your Wi-Fi network. Press the start button on your Xbox One control to display the guide, then select the gear symbol that will take you to the settings screen. In that place, select Net, then Network settings and finally, Configure wireless network. Select the network you want to use and enter the password and you will be online again.
This problem tends to occur when you have not played on your Xbox One X for a few weeks. In our experience, the origin is not in the Wi-Fi network, since our PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch reconnected without problems after a long period of inactivity.
If your console disconnects from Xbox Live intermittently, the problem may be related to the modem or router. Try changing from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz channel, or vice versa. You are likely to experience fewer problems.
You are required to download updates for 4K games
Xbox One X manages the files for your “enhanced” 4K games. Although it facilitates the process, it can also force you to spend much more time downloading updates. If they exist, Xbox One games automatically download an enhanced version, which can double the size of the standard version. You cannot download the standard game, even if you don't have a 4K TV. Nor can you play the titles without downloading the update. If you have an earlier Xbox One and plan to transfer your games to the Xbox One X, this is another step.
- Not all games are still compatible with 4K or other Xbox One X enhancements. If you have any in that condition, you can play it after transferring the content and updating your other games. However, this is not the ideal solution, since many of the larger and new Xbox One titles have already received improvements.
- You can mitigate the wait by planning ahead and downloading the 4K updates to the original system. Open the settings and select System, then Backup and transfer, and see the option for Download 4K game content. Check this box and compatible games will automatically begin the update process, which means they will be ready to go as soon as you move them to Xbox One X.
You can't use Kinect
Like the Xbox One S, the Xbox One X does not have a Kinect port. This means that without an adapter, you won't be able to use the compatible gaming sensor or the Xbox One user interface. Unfortunately, both the Kinect sensor and the adapter have been discontinued, so you can't buy them directly from Microsoft.
- Almost all voice commands originally designed for Kinect are now compatible with microphones. You cannot turn on your console using your voice without Kinect, but you can use the function to move through the mens. However, you should use the Cortana wizard to make it work. The original Xbox voice commands are not compatible with the headphones.
- Both Kinect and its adapter are still available through external vendors, although prices are quite high. You can end up paying as much as for an Xbox One X. Unless you have a good reason to use a Kinect, just don't do it.
The Xbox One X does not turn on with your control
Occasionally, the Xbox One X will not turn on when you press the central button of your control. Even after disconnecting the console from the power outlet and changing the control batteries, the system simply does not turn on. This is a scary problem, but the solution is much simpler.
- Press the power button on the front of the Xbox One X and the console will start as you normally would. Connect the control. Then turn off the system and try to turn it on again with the control. On the Xbox One X and Xbox One S, that solved the problem completely. If the fault happens again, repeat these steps and you will be able to play.