Few are the people who really know about this open source operating system known as Ubuntu. This same It is based on the operating system known as Linux.
In its distribution is based on an architecture known as Debian. It is very common that we see it on server and desktop computers, when they make use of architecture such as ARM, Intel and AMD.
If your computer has this operating system, we will show you the simple ways to how to update Ubuntu following a series of tutorials that will be presented in the following article.
How to update Ubuntu?
Many people have thought that this operating system, because it is an open code type, does not require updating. However, Ubuntu has the peculiarity that can be updated regularly.
Something that characterizes this operating system is that you can update with the use of your terminal. However, there is another way that we will see later.
This other way is with a clean Ubuntu installation, which is how the update is usually done with other operating systems.
What to do before updating Ubuntu?
Before knowing how to update Ubuntu, debers check some aspects on your computer. As for examples, we must review what is the version you already have installed there.
Generally, the versions of this operating system always see that the numbers go from two to two and at the end of this number it is displayed that appears as LTS.
LTS, in general terms, means long term service which in turn translates as a concept that it is a version that contains other constant updates for a long period of time.
To check the version of your Ubuntu operating system, you should do the following:
- Open System Settings.
- Click where it says Details.
- And ready, ah you can check the version of the operating system you have installed.
Step by step to update Ubuntu
Now, we will explain a first method so you can update Ubuntu to its latest version, without the need to enter the system console. For this, you must do the following procedure:
- Access the search engine of the operating system.
- Then, enter in the search bar software.
- You will see a series of options in the results. You should look at what it says specifically Software update.
- Run that same cone and once the verification will be done if the system really needs updating.
- Choose the corresponding update which I got in the results.
- At one time, the installation wizard will start running the installation. Debers wait just a few minutes.
- When it's over, the computer will automatically restart.
It should be noted that, by using this method, you will also be ensuring that the update come completely complete with all the improvements that were made.
If the system did not give you any option to update the system, means that on your computer you have the latest version already installed. However, in general, some packages that require updates will appear.
You should know that having the latest version of Ubuntu It is not completely mandatory, but in any case, there is always a notice of any update available in case you want to do it.
One of the advantages that exists with respect to this method is that when the update is done, I don't run any risk of file loss. However, it is always advisable to make a backup in advance.
How to upgrade Ubuntu 12.04 to 16.04?
If you have version 12.04 and want to know how to update Ubuntu, then we will explain a tutorial where you can do it and what be much simpler than the one explained above.
Step by step to update Ubuntu 12.04 to 16.04
- Press the corresponding key with Win.
- Next, you must enter the word updater.
- You should choose the option that says Update Manager.
- Click where it says Check. This way we will check if there is any update available.
- Make the proper software update where it says Install updates.
- After that, you should click on Check again so that new versions of the operating system are sought.
- When the version available for download appears, you should click on where it says To update.
- You will see all the notes regarding the new update.
- You must click again on To update.
- Finally, our computer will automatically restart and you have your new version installed.
How to upgrade Ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04?
In the event that your version of Ubuntu 14.04 is installed on your computer, we will explain How to upgrade Ubuntu to version 18.04 in a very simple way and it doesn't take you long.
Step by step to update Ubuntu 14.04 to 18.04
Now for perform the procedure, you should do the following:
- Open the operating system search engine.
- Next, you must enter Software & Updates.
- When the corresponding box opens, then you should display the option to Notify me of a new version of Ubuntu, you must choose the one that says For any new version.
- After choosing this, click on where it says Close.
- Open the terminal of the operating system.
- Install the zzupdate functionality. Later, the way in which you can download it by means of a command will be explained.
- Enter the corresponding command with sudo zzupdate.
- And ready, automatically start updating the operating system of our computer.
How to upgrade Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04?
Now, in this case we will explain how to update Ubuntu from version 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS. In this case we will use the operating system command line.
The advantage of these two versions for being LTS, is that will have the ability to update directly. In this way, it will not be necessary to make use of the clean installation of the last version, nor to format the hard disk.
Step by step to update Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04
Before starting the tutorial, you should know that this procedure may take about two hours to complete all the adjustments. To start with this, you should do the following:
- Open the operating system terminal.
- Next, you must press the letter Y Y press the ENTER key on your keyboard
- Then you will be shown in the window that Ubuntu 18.04 LTS version is available. It may also appear that there are some packages available to be updated.
- If by chance you do not see any of this information, you will have to enter the command $ sudo do-release-upgrade d.
- You must press again Y again and the key ENTER on the keyboard.
- You need to download the files that are displayed there. It could be 1 GB or more, so it takes about two hours to configure.
- Wait while the process is finished Without making any more movements, do not turn off the computer.
- Debers Accept also the removal of the packages that will appear in the commands. For that, you should also press Y Y ENTER on the keyboard.
- Next, debers accept restart of the computer what to ask next, this will also be done by pressing the keys Y Y ENTER.
- The command screen should show us that the update was successful before perform the restart.
- And voila, once the computer system is finished, you will notice that the update was successful.
What are the advantages of updating with the commands?
- It is a procedure that going to keep the Unity 7 Desktop, without the need to remove it, as well as with GNOME 3.
- Have the ability to power keep all the programs you have installed on your computer. What's more, update the necessary versions so as not to remove them.
- You can be sure that the files and folders found on the hard drive will not be eliminated.
- No need to reinstall the operating system, something that is a bit more complex and takes much longer.
- You do not need to format the hard disk storage.
How to update Ubuntu from the terminal?
Previously, we were looking at some ways to update Ubuntu using the operating system terminal. However, below we will explain another way to do it using a few different commands.
What are the commands you can use in Ubuntu?
First of all, we will name some of the commands you can use when updating the operating system. If it's Ubuntu Desktop, you can use the following:
- Sudo apt-get update.
- Sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
- Sudo reboot.
- Sudo update-manager d.
But nevertheless, if it's Ubuntu Server, the commands to use are a bit more extensive, among which we have:
- Sudo apt-get update.
- Sudo apt-get upgrade.
- Sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
- Sudo reboot.
- Sudo do-releaseupgrade d.
Step by step to update Ubuntu from the terminal
We could already see that there are different commands to know how to update Ubuntu, however, to update it you only need to use a single command. Follow these instructions and see how it is done:
- Open the Ubuntu operating system terminal.
- After that, you should download the utility known as zzupdate. That will entering the following command: curl s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TurboLabIt/zzupdate/master/setup.sh | sudo sh.
- Then, it appears on the screen that an installation process is beginning.
- Once finished, you must enter the command sudo zzupdate.
- Wait a few moments while the utility we have just downloaded performs the entire update procedure on our computer.
- Once finished, the computer will restart and the operating system will be updated. It is a very simple and much faster way than the previous ones we have mentioned.
Now, if you want to update through the SSH, then you should do the procedure by entering the screen session. The advantage of this is that you can return to the update session if there has been any connection failure.
To perform this procedure, you must do the following:
- Open the operating system terminal on your computer.
- Once opened, you must enter the corresponding command with sudo apt-get install screen.
- After finishing this, you must enter the command screen so start session within it.
- Now, if you have lost the connection while performing the procedure, you should use the command screen Dr.
How to update Ubuntu without Internet?
Finally, we will explain how to how to update Ubuntu without the need of the internet. This will make the procedure much easier if you do not find a nearby wireless connection.
Step by step to update Ubuntu without Internet
This procedure to be explained below is using the clean installation method. This is to install the operating system from scratch. For this, you should do the following:
- Debers Access the official Ubuntu portal from your computer.
- There you will find the latest version of the operating system so you can download it.
- The same file will start downloading, be in .iso format. You should wait a bit while it is done.
- A program that is known as Boot Disk Creator. This is what helps us to install the new version.
- We recommend that enter the file we just downloaded on a USB device, like a pendrive.
- Enter that pendrive the moment you open the Boot Disk Creator on your computer.
- Automatically, our computer detect the device.
- Debers create now the bootable USB which will contain the latest version of the operating system.
- Now debers install the operating system from scratch as you normally will. The same program will greatly facilitate the procedure.