All brands customize their interfaces and in EMUI it is easy to notice the touch of Huawei. The experience offered by the user interface is far from that of Android Stock, since it is highly modified. In this article we will show you some features that are worth knowing to get the most out of your smartphone, be it a Huawei P30, a Mate 20 Pro or an Honor View 20, to name a few of the growing Huawei / Honor family.
Important: Some steps may differ slightly between a Huawei device and another Honor.
Opinion by Jessica Murgia
I think it is important to customize the look and configuration of my smartphone according to my needs
How to customize the interface
One of the advantages of EMUI is, without a doubt, its level of customization. Set up a photo of yourself as a background, collect the applications in the dedicated drawer, navigate using the physical or virtual keys, reorganize the applications on the screens … Very few steps are required to make the interface closest to your tastes and needs.
- Change background: Settings> Main screen and wallpaper> Wallpaper
- Activate the application drawer: Settings> Main screen and wallpaper> Main screen style> App drawer
- Enable Always in Display: Settings> Main screen and wallpaper> Always show on screen.
- Choose how to navigate the system: Settings> System> System navigation; here You can choose between gesture navigation, three-key navigation (default) or the navigation dock
- Show battery percentage: Settings> Battery> Battery percentage
Dive into the screen menu
We often underestimate the importance of the screen and its associated settings. I do not mean only the level of brightness, but the ability to intervene in the reproduction of the colors of the content shown, as well as to customize the size
- Font Size: Settings> Display> Text and display size
- Screen Resolution: Settings> Display> Screen resolution.
- Color temperature: Settings> Display> Temperature and color mode> Normal / Vivid
- Hide the notch: Settings> Display> More display settings> Notch
- Turn off the screen: Settings> Display> Sleep> 30 seconds. It is a good way to limit energy consumption.
- Show an application in full screen mode: Settings> Display> More screen settings> Full screen display> Choose the app.
- Increase the sensitivity of the touch screen during winter: Settings> Smart assistance> Gloves mode.
Accelerate the interaction with your device
There are some functions that I recommend you to activate in EMUI because they will allow you to optimize the interaction with your smartphone, making it possible to act with a few gestures or steps.
- Find the files in the blink of an eye: Swipe down on the home screen and see the search bar appear.
- Answer or reject calls with your voice: Settings> Smart Assistance> Voice control> Respond with voice control
- Wake up the Google Assistant: Press and hold the Start button and use voice commands in Spanish (remember to activate it first from the Google application).
- Divide the screen in two with the knuckle: Settings> Smart Assistance> Split screen
- Activate the quick launcher: From the unlock screen, swipe from the bottom up to access the recorder, flashlight, calculator, timer and camera.
- Use two WhatsApp / Facebook accounts: Settings> Applications> Twin App
- Activate one-handed use: Settings> Smart assistance> One-hand mode
- Take a screenshot: instead of the classic combination of low volume and power keys, hit the screen with your knuckle.
Security and protection
Locking your device with a PIN, password, sequence, fingerprint reader or facial recognition will help protect your data. And if you have a life that you want to keep the most curious secret, you will be happy to find three functions designed for you!
- Set one or more fingerprints: Settings> Security and privacy> Fingerprint ID
- Activate unlocking with facial recognition: Settings> Security and privacy> Face recognition
- Create a private storage on your smartphone by activating Private Space: Settings> Security and privacy> Private space.
- Encode photos, audio, video and other files: Settings> Security and privacy> Safe
- Block access to some applications: Settings> Security and privacy> Application lock
- Find the device in case of loss or theft: Settings> Security and privacy> Find my device
- Install unknown applications: Settings> Security and privacy> Additional settings> Install applications from external sources
- Set / Disable PIN for SIM card: Settings> Security and privacy> Additional settings> Encryption and credentials
Become a camera professional
One of the components most used by users and full of surprises, especially now that artificial intelligence penetrates smartphones. Introduced in the Mate 10 Pro and View 10 with the Kirin 970 NPU, AI helps optimize the photographic experience by choosing the best settings and modes depending on the context.
- Activate Pro mode: Open the camera application, swipe from left to right and click Professional.
- Quickly browse the photos of the Galera: Open a photo of the Galley, pinch it to make it smaller and scroll through the other photos.
- Select several photos at the same time: Open the folder, press for a few seconds on the photo you want to select and slide your finger to select the others.
- Create the bokeh effect: open the camera and click on the icon that simulates the opening of the lens; Now click on the object you want to focus on and shoot.
- Adjust the beauty effect: Click on the portrait icon and slide your finger over the beauty level indicator.
- Have fun with AR: activate the AR lenses in the camera menu, click on AR at the bottom and select the effects you want to see in real time on the framed object.
- Apply Instagram style filters before shooting: Activate the Filter element between camera modes and then click on the three circles to display the nine filters in real time.
- Take a picture with a smile: go to the camera setup with a side slide and activate the option Capture smiles.
- Scan a document: open the camera and click Scan document, Frame the business card and proceed with scanning according to the instructions.
- Enable / disable AI: Depending on the device, you can do so by accessing the camera application and clicking on Adjust> AI Master or by selecting the AI button on the main screen.
- Apply grid: Start the camera application, Settings> Camera grid
- Set the timer: Start the camera application, Settings> Timer, and choose between 2.5 or 10 seconds
Unfortunately, no miracle can make your smartphone's battery last more than two days. However, you can control and manage your consumption and, if possible, take advantage of the fast recharge to quickly dispose of all the energy you need.
- Activate the energy saving mode: To limit background applications, disable automatic synchronization of email and system audio.
- Choose the energy saving mode: For emergency situations, this mode allows the use of very few applications, which greatly limits the user experience. To understand what the battery spends the most: Settings> Battery> Battery usage.
- Optimize consumption: Settings> Battery> Optimize.
- View the percentage of charge remaining: Settings> Battery> Battery percentage
- Set the black background in the interface to save battery: Settings> Battery> Darken interface colors.
- Use reverse wireless charging (for compatible models):Settings> Battery> Use wireless charging.
Other useful tips
If you are a geek and want to control even the most remote system options, here are some additional tricks:
- Enable Developer Options: Settings> System> About phone> Build number, click on it until you are asked for the phone PIN.
- Reset your smartphone: Settings> System> Reset> Reset phone
- System Update: Settings> System> Software update
- Program the smartphone to turn on the alarm: Settings> Smart Assistance> Scheduled on / off. Set the on time and then the alarm time.
- Transfer data from your old smartphone: Download Phone Clone to the two devices (Huawei, Honor or Apple) and select the data you want to transfer.
- Best audio experience: Settings> Sounds> Histen Huawei audio effects (connect the headphones to the device or the item does not appear in the menu).
Do you also have a Huawei or Honor smartphone? What other trick would you add to the list? Share them with us!
These tricks are available with Android 9 and EMUI 9.1, but some also work with earlier versions.
. (tagsToTranslate) huawei (t) emui (t) software (t) android (t) tricks (t) tips (t) interface (t) smartphone (t) mobile