Taking a look at the PlayStation Store, one immediately realizes that there are no official VPN networks for the PS4. It may not be as easy as in a smartphone or computer, but I know that it is possible to use a VPN on a PlayStation 4.
Installing a private virtual network allows you to access restricted content in your area, have early access to new games for the PS4, improve a poor Internet connection and much more. We explain three ways to use a VPN on your Sony console.
Why use a VPN on the PlayStation 4?
Before entering the three ways in which you can use a VPN on your PS4, you may want to know a little more about the benefits of doing so. On the one hand, it can help you reduce the delay that occurs when games are loaded.
In addition to this improvement in your experience when playing on-line, you can also access games that are not yet available in your country. Not all video games arrive in Spain the same day of its launch, but with a VPN this is solved.
Method 1. How to configure a VPN on PS4 from your router
The easiest way to use a VPN on your PS4 is to set up such a private network on your router Wifi. You can purchase one of the newest models with integrated VPN or by manually configuring the one you have.
If you choose the first option, it should not be difficult to find a router that comes with a VPN like ExpressVPN. It is not the cheapest method, but it is the easiest to be able to use a VPN on any device to which you connect the wifi.
The second method implies that you subscribe to any VPN service and manually enter all the network data in the configuration of your router. The steps to follow vary according to the VPN and the router, so we find it difficult to explain the process.
We recommend, for example, to use NordVPN. You can find several tutorials on both its website and ours. Alternatively, you can take a look at our lists of best VPNs, whether payment networks or free services.
Method 2. How to configure a VPN on PS4 from your Mac
If you are not interested in the fact that all your home Internet connection is filtered by a VPN, you can use your Mac computer and a LAN or Ethernet cable. Before continuing, make sure your Mac has an Ethernet port and a Wi-Fi adapter.
You will also have to make sure that all these accessories are compatible with your console and, of course, subscribe to the service of a VPN connection – we recommend NordVPN-. Once you are ready, you can follow the process below.
one. Install the VPN connection you prefer.
two. Connect one end of the LAN or Ethernet cable on your Mac and the other on your PS4.
3. Go to System preferences on your Mac, followed by Share and select the box Share internet from the menu on the left hand side.
4. Select option Wifi from the drop-down menu called Share connection from.
5. Now, make sure the option Ethernet is selected in the list With other computers it goes.
6. To allow the Internet connection to be shared between your Mac and your PS4, you should also make sure that the box is selected Share internet. If it has been successfully shared, see a green icon.
7. Then open the program of your VPN on your Mac and connect the server you want.
8. Go to the configuration menu of your PlayStation 4 and select Net, followed by Set up Internet connection Y Use a LAN network cable. Then choose the method Easy. Verify that the configuration will be done automatically.
9. Select the option that you don't want to use a proxy server and everything should be ready by now. If you want, try connecting your PlayStation to the Internet. If everything went well, you should be doing it through your VPN.
Method 3. How to configure a VPN on PS4 from your PC
What if, instead of an Apple computer, you have a PC? Do not worry because we also have the solution for you. It is the same method practically as described to use a VPN on a Mac, but using the equivalent of Windows.
As we said before, you should make sure that you have hired a VPN plan, such as NordVPN. Read the steps indicated below carefully. Vers that it is not complicated to use a private network on your computer or Microsoft laptop.
one. Install the program associated with your VPN on your PC.
two. Connect the LAN or Ethernet cable to both your computer and your PlayStation 4.
3. Open the Control Panel, choose the option Exchange Center Network and select Change adapter settings in the left part of the window.
4. Right click on the VPN icon you have chosen and select the option Properties from the drop-down menu.
5. In the pestaa Share, select the option Allow other networks to connect.
6. Select option Local network connection and, from the drop-down menu, choose the connection you want to share with your PlayStation 4.
7. Now is the time to go to your PS4. Go to Settings, followed by Net. Choose Set up Internet connection and then Use a LAN network cable. You should choose the Easy method. The configuration will be done automatically.
8. Finally, you should choose that you do not want to use a proxy server. Test the Internet connection to make sure everything went well and that, indeed, your PS4 is already connected using the VPN.