How to play classic consoles on Apple TV
What do we need:
- USB-C cable
- The source code of the application
- Apple Developer Account (Free)
How to install Provenance
- We register as developers in THIS LINK.
- We connect the Apple TV to the Mac with the USB-C cable and to an outlet with the corresponding cable.
- We go to the page where the application code is hosted and copy its URL. In this case, the Provenance website that is on GitHub, where we will copy the URL clone.
- We open Xcode and we are going to Source Control / Check Out.
- We paste the URL that we had copied in the box that we see in the window that opens to us.
- If there is more than one file when finished uploading, we choose Master. Then we click on Next.
- A new window will open automatically. In this window, we have to choose (in this case) Provenance and then ProvenanceTV-release.
- We choose our Apple TV and click on the triangle button (as Play). This will start to compile the application.
- There will be failures, but we will solve them choosing our Apple ID Y renaming the file (as you see in the video) in the main section of the application. Then we go back to play, finish compiling and install the application. You have to wait to see the message of “Build success ”.
How to upload ROMs to Provenance
Now we just have to upload the ROMs to Provenance. To do this we will do the following:
- We open Provenance on our Apple TV.
- We select Import ROMs. This will show us a URL.
- We write the URL that the previous step has given us in the browser of our computer.
- We choose the folder “roms”(important, that the video is wrong) and then we choose Upload ROMs.
- We return to Apple TV, close the window where we saw the URL that we put in the browser and see all the games that we have uploaded with their covers and everything.
And that’s it. As you can see in the following video, the control with the Siri Remote is not very good. The Play / Pause button is the jump button and the touch surface click is the trigger button. The best thing would be to have an MFi controller, something that I think I will end up buying.
The system works on the iPhone
This system also works on the iPhone. It is almost the same, with the only difference that we will have to choose the iPhone file when we are performing the steps in Xcode. To put the ROMs on the iPhone we just have to do it with iTunes, just as we do with any other application that accepts files.
The best accessories for your iPhone
Are you looking for a new case for your iPhone? An accessory for the Apple Watch? Maybe a Bluetooth speaker? Do not miss these offers on accessories and get the most out of Apple’s mobile: