If you are new to iOS and jailbreak, you probably don't know what that "Cydia" is on everyone's lips. But what are they talking about? Without a doubt, when we hear or read the word Cydia in some medium, the conversation is related to the world of jailbreak, what translated into Spanish is something like "escape" or, if we translate it directly, "break the cage" . But,how to download Cydia? How do you install it?
In this article we will try explain several things about Cydia so you never have doubts about the app store launched by Saurik now more than 8 years ago.
What is Cydia and what is it for
Apple presented its app store at the Keynote of the WWDC in 2008 and named it App Store, whose direct translation is “App store” (which seems not to be as good as in English). IOS restrictions made developers want to "break the cage" that avoided making some modifications to the iPhone. Saurik decided to launch a alternative app store where we could download applications not allowed in the App Store and other modifications, such as SBSettings (initially called BossPrefs) or Winterboard, which helps us to add themes (skins or skins) to our iPhone.
Infographic: what is jailbreak and what is it for?
I will not say that the jailbreak It is less and less important, but I will say that at the beginning iOS had many more limitations, so the jailbreak was almost an obligation. Without going any further, to be able to record video with the first iPhone it was necessary to install a tweak from Cydia. Without further delay, we will see how to download Cydia and install it on the different models of iPhone or iPad.
How to download Cydia for iPhone 4 and earlier
The best for download and install Cydia on iPhone 4 and earlier is to look for the necessary tool for the version of iOS that this device uses:
- If you have iOS 7.x installed, you will have to go to the Pangu website and download its Pangu 7 tool.
- If you happen to have iOS 7.0-7.0.x and do not trust Chinese hackers (which would not be the first), you can also use the latest tool launched by the team of hackers evad3rs that you have available on their website.
- If you made the uncritical decision to stay on iOS 6, you can use the p0sixspwn tool.
- For other versions, consult the page http://jailbrea.kr/
- You can also try and install Cydia Installer, a tool for Windows that Cydia is supposed to download. In any case, it is something that I do not recommend.
The quick answer is: everyone. Any iOS device, be a iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, is compatible with Cydia. Of course, not all devices are compatible with all versions of Cydia.
In any case, if we jailbreak an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, entering Cydia we will see if you can update to the latest version. If you can't, the latest version that we can install from Cydia is the latest version compatible with that device.
The jailbreak is dead
Tutorial to install Cydia
This process can be a bit tricky or very simple, depending on the process you choose and at the point where you want to install Cydia
Process 1: Normal installation. Mandatory process if the jailbreak has not been done before
This is the recommended process to install Cydia on your iPhone.
- If you do not have the Cydia alternative application store installed, it gives you problems or disappears, perhaps it is best to start from 0, so the first thing we will do is a backup.
- The second step is to look at one of the tutorials that we have in iPhone News to jailbreak your device.
As simple as that. Although it might work out, the manual installation of some packages usually generates more problems than solving them, so I recommend doing Process 1 to install Cydia. In addition, it is the only way to install it if we have not jailbroken the device yet.
Process 2: Manual installation.
I would not recommend this process to install Cydia, but it will prevent us from starting at 0 with all that this would mean. We will do the following:
- Download the .deb package of the Cydia version that we want to install.
- We open an SFTP client, such as Cyberduck.
- We navigate to / var / root / Media. If we don't have the Cydia folder, we create it.
- Inside the Cydia folder we have to create (if it isn't) a folder called AutoInstall.
- We take the .deb package that we downloaded in step 1 and “upload” it to the AutoInstall folder.
- We restart twice. After the second reboot, Cydia should appear on the Springboard.
How to jailbreak the latest iPhone models
Hacker groups that are responsible for jailbreak are also responsible for launching tools for it. Otherwise, jailbreak could be an impossible mission. If you asked me “How do you jailbreak an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad?” My answer would be “What device and what version of iOS do you have installed?”.
Although it is true that the latest tools make the process practically the same, so it can be light but important differences in the process. If I have to say a single generic method, I would say it has to be done as follows:
- We are looking for information about jailbreak for the iOS version We have installed. This point may be a bit funny, but I say it because, for example, in iOS 5.0.1-5.1.1 we have to use the Absinthe tool, in iOS 6.1.2 we have to use evasi0n, in iOS 7.x evasi0n7 and to iOS 8 and iOS 9 we will have to use one of the tools offered by the Pangu or TaiG hacker teams. On the jailbrea.kr page we can check this information up to iOS 7.1.
- We make a backup of all the important data of the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. This is an important step for when we are going to perform any flashing, not just for jailbreak.
- We run the tool downloaded in step 1.
- We follow the instructions that appear in the application. In many cases, among these steps is to unlock the device and touch the new icon that has been created on the springboard.
Why does the Jailbreak no longer matter?
For do the jailbreak To the latest version available at this time, you can visit our post Tutorial to jailbreak iOS 9.0-9.0.2.
Have you had any doubt about how download Cydia?
The best accessories for your iPhone
Are you looking for a new case for your iPhone? An accessory for the Apple Watch? Maybe a Bluetooth speaker? Do not miss these offers on accessories and get the most out of Apple's mobile: