Monitoring is in fashion, carrying devices “Wearables” What they are called is something that we see more and more common, to be loaded with sensors by the body and that these are part of our daily clothing is the price that we have to pay if we want to have a better control of our day to day.
Jawbone is just one of the many companies that are dedicated to the manufacture and sale of these devices, among them we recognize brands such as Fitbit, Garmin, Xiaomi, Nike, Misfit and even Razer itself with its Nabu, but Jawbone with its UP3 has been successful in something about the others, I mean the approach.
The Jawbone UP3 is a smart bracelet, but it is not a fitness tracker, it does not notify you if they call you, nor does it vibrate if they send you a message, nor does it have a screen that shows you information, does not do any of that.
The Jawbone UP3 is a Healt Tracker, and it is precisely that (and that is the most advanced in the market even today) that makes it special and allows it to stand out from the rest.
Instead of being a device oriented to people who are already active, this focuses on sedentary people, a bracelet that helps to understand our health and how our day-to-day affects our body and mind.
Mission: Improve our health
Counting steps, calories, distances traveled, the phases of sleep and all those things is nothing special, charging almost € 200 for a bracelet that only does that is a sin, for this we have the beautiful Xiaomi Mi Band 1S that for € 20 It even includes an optical heart rate sensor, but then, what does this bracelet do that allows it to reach that value?
The Jawbone UP3, unlike the rest of wearables, is an invisible bracelet, a device with the latest technology capable of hiding in our sleeve with subtlety as if it were a more aesthetic accessory, a bracelet that presents quality finishes that can even pass as a mere aesthetic accessory, but after that fine and precious class layer and exquisiteness hides a whole engineering feat, loaded with sensors such as a three-axis accelerometer, a Bluetooth 4.0 LE module and a set of "bioimpedance" sensors.
It is normal that you have doubts about the functionality or purpose of these sensors, and it is precisely here that stands out above the others, these sensors are located inside the circle of the bracelet, arranged in the form of 5 metallic squares with golden appearance (whose existence one ignores when wearing it thanks to its fine profile and rounded tips) divided into two groups of two and one loose at the top.
Using these sensors, many things are measured, such as the electrical resistance of our skin, the beats per minute of our heart, our breathing rate and even what is known as "Galvanic Cutaneous Response" or (GSR), the latter is, to understand it simply, what we notice when we get a scare, that chill or tension that runs through our body, both when we are sad, and when we get scared, as when we are happy, we I could say that it is like an emotional response through the skin.
What are these sensors for?
Well, thanks to them, the Jawbone UP3 can measure things like the beats per minute of our heart every few minutes during The 24 hours of the day (without spending hardly any energy on it), our breathing and body temperature.
These data allow the bracelet not only to follow our heart rate throughout the day and all night (to detect the impact of our lifestyle on our heart), but to know when we are in the REM sleep phase, a unique feature that only UP3 is capable of, and this is more important than it seems, since conventional wristbands measure the sleep phases by following 3 of them (Awake, Light Dream and Deep Dream), but the REM phase it is a phase as important as any other, it is the phase in which we are dreaming, during this phase (REM = MOR = Rapid Eye Movement) our brain repairs its cells and establishes the neural connections necessary to consolidate short-term memory into memory in the long term, while the phase of deep sleep what it does is repair the muscles and joints such as tendons.
Knowing how many hours of REM phase we have enjoyed in one night allows us to have a better idea about whether we have rested well or if our brain still needs a rest, since quantifying and analyzing sleep is more difficult than saying Light Dream and Deep Dream, something that only helps us determine when we are more likely to wake up.
What benefits does the Jawbone UP3 provide?
Knowing more about our day to day and how our body responds to our actions we can make much smarter decisions to improve our quality of life, and for this Jawbone has made available to us a fantastic application which has a "personal trainer", but I do not mean the typical coach who commands you to do push-ups and dominated, but to a coach who teaches you to live in a healthy way.
Smart coach It is the name that Jawbone has chosen, and this system will allow you to understand what is happening with your body, how your lifestyle affects your health and how you could improve it. Smart Coach talks about everything, it tells you when you have slept well, when you have slept little, how you can sleep better, why you may have slept badly, when your heart is in abnormal values, if you are doing enough sport, that you could eat to improve Your quality of life even shows you statistics comparing yourself to the rest of the people of your age, therefore it is like having a personal assistant on your phone in charge of taking care of your health.
- Step counter
- Physical activity detection (and corresponding classification via app)
- Advanced detection of sleep phases (Awake, Light sleep, Deep sleep and REM sleep)
- Automatic sleep mode
- Silent vibration alarm
- Smart alarm (up to 10, 20 or 30 minutes before the time, adjustable from the app)
- Passive heart rate measurement (when not active) and at rest (just before waking up)
- Smart Coach: System of recommendations and explanations thanks to which you will understand what is happening, why, and how to change it.
- 3 control LEDs, invisible until a double tap is not performed on the metal cover of the bracelet, after which one of them lights up indicating which mode is active (blue for the dream or orange for activity).
- White notification LED that turns on when the UP application gives you a warning.
- Inactivity Alert
- Goal alert accomplished.
- 7 day battery life
- Water resistant (not submersible)
- 3 axis accelerometer
- Bioimpedance Sensors
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE
- Vibration motor
- Size: 220 mm x 12.2 mm x 3 mm to 9.3 mm
- One size for dolls from 140 mm– to 190 mm (adjustable)
- 29 g weight
- 38 mAh rechargeable lithium-ion polymer battery
- Medical grade TPU hypoallergenic rubber strap
- Anodized aluminum top cover (less than 0.5% nickel)
- Tin coated stainless steel reading electrodes
- 6-pin magnetic induction charging port
- It only needs to be recharged 4 times a month.
- Its water resistance allows you to wear it even when you go swimming, but if you are going to dive, take it off.
- Unique in the market that detects the REM phase.
- Its appearance is able to accompany the best costumes.
- Having a one size makes it very versatile.
- It is very comfortable to use, you just forget that you carry it.
- Easy to put on and take off.
- Reliable support thanks to the imitator included (when it went on sale it did not carry it, now it does include it).
- Compatible with iOS and Android.
- IFTTT support.
- It loads in just 60 minutes.
- Smart Coach is a great added value.
- Very complete application, careful and compatible with Apple Health.
- Updatable firmware, possible new functions in the future.
- The bracelet learns from you, the more you use it the better its advice.
- The application allows you to keep track of manual intake and even challenge your friends to overcome a goal.
- The paint on its cover is prone to wear.
- It does not measure heart rate in full physical activity.
- You cannot measure heart rate manually.
- The pulsations are not synchronized with Apple Health, there is a third-party app but it costs € 1.99
- Price only acceptable for those who are also looking for a fashion accessory
- Editor rating
- 5 star rating
- Jawbone UP3
- Review of: Juan Colilla
The best accessories for your iPhone
Are you looking for a new case for your iPhone? An accessory for the Apple Watch? Maybe a Bluetooth speaker? Do not miss these offers on accessories and get the most out of Apple's mobile: