1) Choose a strong and unique password. Use combinations of at least 6 letters, numbers and punctuation marks, without using it for other accounts. You can also use password generators to get a unique password. Change your password often.
2) Think before clicking. Don't click suspicious links, even if they come from a friend or company you know through conversation or a post. If you see something suspicious on Facebook, report it. Do not download documents (for example: an .exe file) if you are not sure what it contains. Pay attention to suspicious notifications.
3) Beware of fake pages and apps / games. Beware of pages promoting offers that are too good to be true. If in doubt, check to see if the page is verified. Check the applications or games that you install on Facebook. Many scammers use these types of services to access your account.
4) Do not accept friend requests from people you don't know. Scammers sometimes create fake profiles of people. If you become their friend, they can post spam on your bio, tag you on photos, and send you malicious messages. Your true friends can also become your target and receive their friendship request.
5) Never publish your access data, such as email and password. Sometimes pages can make you offers if you share your login information with them. These types of requests violate the Declaration of Rights and Responsibilities of the social network. If Facebook asks you to re-enter your password (for example: if you are making changes to your account settings) check that the page address still contains facebook.com/ in the URL.
6) Enter www.facebook.com. Scammers can create a fake page that looks like the Facebook home page, for you to enter your email address and password. Be sure to verify the URL address of the page before entering your login details. When in doubt, you can always type facebook.com in your browser to access the platform. Here you can see more information about phishing.
7) Update your browser. The latest versions of browsers have incorporated security protections and can alert you if you are about to enter a suspicious phishing site. Facebook has support for the following browsers: Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.
8) Quick Security Check: You can easily review and add additional security to your account through this Facebook tool.